Is this an acceptable way to fit lead flashing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

My roof is leaking quite badly and I suspect the culprit is the flashing. The roof was completed about 3 months ago and no problems up until now.

Is this an acceptable way to fit lead flashing on a pitched roof? I would have thought it would need to be stepped.

Thanks[/img]

Sponsored Links
Lift the lead and see if soakers have been installed.

Driving rain and/or capillary action could quite easily cause leaks here if there are no soakers

Put plainly: there will be alot of water coming from the downpipe in the pic. Add some wind and that water could be blown under the lead aided by capillary action. No soakers =leak

Hope this helps

You could bring that down pipe along the fascia board and drop it into the gutter that would probably be enough, that lead work is wrong for that type of tile.

Sponsored Links
Put an extension on that down pipe to lead into the gutter.

Andy
indeed - extend the pipe to lay on the lead and lead it thereon into the gutter - OR change it to a round one and run it down the face of the other wall and discharge on the other roof :idea:

Thanks for the replies folks.

Could you elaborate please on
that lead work is wrong for that type of tile.

I'm expecting a dispute with my builder over this and don't want to be told by him that a squirt of mastic will do.

Thanks.

If you get rid of the water cascading off the big roof you won't have a problem not a dispute.

Pitch is too low to have a stream running down it. soakers and cover flashings.

I agree with the others that have said that there probably no soakers, that with the lowish pitch and the position of the down pipe.
There is nothing wrong with the lead work that I can see, it doesn't have to be stepflashed(personally I would have stepped flashed it but that isn't the reason its leaking, its because there will be no soakers)
Regards
Dave
P.S. Tell him you want soakers fitted or he will just stick a bead of mastic under the lead!

There are a number of issues with this roof that I can see.

1 - No soakers. We have been to at least half a dozen jobs where the flashing has been put over these tiles with no soakers. The reason this happens is because it is the manufacturer of the tiles that recommends it to be done this way. Every time we have installed soakers it fixes the problem.

2 - The lead flashing is on in too long a length. It looks to me to be about 2 metres long. It should be no more than 1.5 metres long and will in a fairly short timescale, begin to crack due to expansion and contraction.

3 - The fallpipe needs to be re-directed directly into the gutter on a roof with that pitch.

4 - Its hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like he should have been able to do a proper step flashing rather than a straight yankee flashing, therefore I would suspect that given the limited leadwork knowledge the installer clearly had that the joints into the wall are less than 25mm which will cause problems at a later stage. The apron will not have been installed correctly and the laps will be insufficient.

More photo's may help us to see more and help you further.

Probably no soakers system but even so any water should have been picked up by the underlay. I would make the front corner of the chimney step flashing suspect.. it appears not properly formed...

all guessing easy to knock somthing with online pics..
maybe your builder wont make a big deal out of it and just sort it.

Your a hard man Yorkie That lead is not over length going by the number of tiles, and how much water do you think the top of that lead will get under that verge.

Move the downpipe Back - behind the ridge - outa sight and outa mind - I don`t care where it discharges then :mrgreen:

Your a hard man Yorkie That lead is not over length going by the number of tiles, and how much water do you think the top of that lead will get under that verge.

The reason I think that it is too long is because I live on an estate that is 15 years old where these tiles have been used and the lead flashing has been installed in the same way. I have already worked on 3 houses on our estate in the last 6 months where the lead flashing has been installed in 2 metre lengths and from measurements taken in my original survey I know that 6 courses is approximately 2 metres. If the original poster has a chance to be able to measure it then he could confirm this.

I understand what you say about the verge, however, we all know that 'driving rain' is a powerful force and can cause insurmountable damage. I am a leadworker by trade and have seen it many times. Added to that, we have all seen leaks that are caused higher up the roof that manifest themselves lower down inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back