Help! Key problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have a problem fillin gthe boiler, it's a Worcester28CDi. I have put the key into the black pipe lined up to the unlock picture and then turn to the lock position but it doesnt lock. If I then turn the grey tap to fill up the boiler then water leaks out from the key (black pipe) area (obviously cuse it ain't locked). I have been trying all day to get the key to lock but it simply won't. Any ideas?
thx

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the key isn't pushed up far enough - If it was you'd have an o-ring seal on both sides of the water supply and the water wouldn't leak out.

Try pushing the key a bit further up then turn it and it should lock into position.

I presume that you're opening two valves - the inlet to the boiler and the water supply ?

You engage the filling key, then you have to turn the main water supply on, then turn the grey knob, you should hear the water start flowing into the system. When the pressure on the boiler gauge reaches 1bar turn the grey knob off. Bleed all the radiators occasionally topping the pressure up. Check the grey knob is fully turned off then remove the key.
Make sure that any drain off valves have been turned off before filling and all the radiator valves are turned on. If the pressure does not start to rise within a short period of time stop filling and have a look for any leaks. Once full the boiler can then be switched on, put the heating on and occasionally run a hot tap so as to remove any air trapped in the boiler.

But the problem have is that they key will not lock and therefore when I turn the grey tap on the water just purs down the key. The problem is that for some reason the key does not engage correctly into the locked position.

But the problem have is that they key will not lock and therefore when I turn the grey tap on the water just purs down the key. The problem is that for some reason the key does not engage correctly into the locked position.

Have you tried a bit more upward pressure before turning the key ?

The arrow on the key should be lined up with the unlocked symbol on the housing when it is in the right orientation to be pushed up into position, then when you turn it to the right the arrow will line up with the locked symbol.

Once it is, open the filling valve then open the mains water valve to fill the system - You may well find that the filling valve leaks water externally while it's open. Just put a bucket underneath it and open the mains supply valve a bit more to compensate for the leakage. When you've got enough pressure in the system close both the valves. Then remove the key - Turn back to the unlocked position and pull it down. Simples ! . :)

Sponsored Links
Hi All,
I have a problem fillin gthe boiler, it's a Worcester28CDi. I have put the key into the black pipe lined up to the unlock picture and then turn to the lock position but it doesnt lock.

Either you haven't pushed it up far enough before turning to the locked position or you're missing an o-ring from the key .... Does it stop at the "locked " position ? - If it doesn't then it's not pushed in far enough before turning it.

Got it working eventually, the bloody key was not co-ordinated with the lock/unlock picture on the black pipe. Question, is it safe to leave the key in on the lock position?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back