Help locating Materials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to build a cabinet for the lounge but I’m having problems locating the materials. I’m after 2 X chipboard veneered on all edges panel of 5cm thick by 140cm length by 45cm depth and 1 X 5cm thick by 140cm length by 35cm depth.

I’m not by any means an expert and therefore, I don’t know the correct name of the material. But it’s the same sort of stuff that you would get when you purchase flat-pack furniture from places such as Ikea and the like.

Any guidance would be gratefully received.

Westber

Sponsored Links
Must be a hefty cabinet - 5 cm thick! (125 mm)
Something like Furniture Panel (chipboard covered in beech-effect melamine/laminate) sounds like what you are describing,but that is normally 15 or 18 mm thickness.
If you seriously want something of that size,go and talk to your local Timber Merchant (as opposed to DIY store)

Have fun :D

Whilst the thickness will benefit the strength its really about the style of the furniture. I'm hoping to the unit will have an Itlian modern feel to it when completed.

Thanks for the reply. I'm off to see my local timber supplier later this week, but i don't hold out much hope.

heeelllooo webster and welcome :LOL: :LOL: ;)

the only way i can see you getting anywhere near 2" thick is worktop or doubling up on material
now if you double up you will have a joint showing along the length wether you have two thicknesses or 32mm at right angles to give you 50mm

if you use 44mm worktop youll need lots of extra edging as you only get about 5ft per length[assuming your using the square back edge as the front]

Sponsored Links
How did you work that out?? 5 cm = 50 mm

He's thinking of inches! I must admit I have done the same myself when converting from cms.

Webster I know the look you are after but by using solid board it will weigh and cost a lot. If I was making panels like this I would use two thinner layers with something solid at the front and back edges to make a box-type construction.

I know of a company in Ashford Kent that does bespoke (mostly Oak) veneering of several materials, seizes etc.
They might be of help?

Thanks for all your replies. I may be able to explain my requirements by showing you a picture of the finished products. The following image is taken from an on-line retailer with an asking price of over £1,500. Hence my intention to build my own. And secondly, the dimensions of the advertised product are incorrect for my living room.

table.gif

I would make it up from two layers of 12mm veneered mdf with a 25mm spacer in between, these could be battens around the edge and a few at equal intervals. You oould then finish the edges with 50mm wide iron on wood veneer or flexi veneer. This is how I did the tops and shelves of this unit.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/pittplace/?action=view&current=PICT0009.jpg

Not sure where you are but South london Hardwoods In Croydon do a cut to size and edging service, may be able to do the lot as they have their own joinery shop.

http://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/

Jason

What are you putting on the top? A TV? How heavy is it? Are you putting sides on the unit?

I'll be putting an plasma TV on it which is 40kg. So it has to be strong.

petewood said:
What are you putting on the top? A TV? How heavy is it? Are you putting sides on the unit?

i am with petwood on this one you either need support for the front edge
with leverage the weight is going to increase 120 kg to 200kg[dependent on position]
so unless your prepared to fabricate some chunky brackets to sit inside the hollow part of the structure i dont think it will be strong enough withought legs or sides

I suppose another way would be to put a vertical panel or even a leg in the centre of the unit, between the top and the bottom shelves.

petewood said:
I suppose another way would be to put a vertical panel or even a leg in the centre of the unit, between the top and the bottom shelves.

thats a good idea petewood with perhaps crome tube or black coated steel about 200mm from the front edge will support the shelf pretty well with the centre of gravity off the telly [sorry high tec digital plasma screen ;) ]likely to be at that point

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back