HELP! loud bang and no electric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

had a bit of problem today with ring main.
i dropped acro on a socket that was due to come out, and it made a loud bang, one of the negative wires had blown and one of the positive was blown, i stripped the wires back down and reconnected but when i went to the fuse box to change the fuse i saw there was no electric to anywhere in the flat and the meter wasnt spinning.

What the bloody hell have i done wand what is the solution?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You have blown your main incoming service fuse.

Phone your electricity company and make up an excuse.

And please, leave it alone if you don't know the difference between AC and DC..

Do you pay a landlord for electric or an electric supplier??

If it's a landlord then you may have blown your submain fuse or main service fuse ---- ring your landlord

If it's an electric supplier then you've more than likely blown your main service fuse ---- ring your electricity supplier

some times fuses do just blow, so just say that your electricity suddenly went off for no apparent reason

Sponsored Links
Thank you guys, that was quick!

I dont know much about electrics so i was a bit worried that i had done some bigger damage.

I will call the elec providers in the morning.

is this something an electrician can do or do the service providers have to come out to do it? reason i ask is in case they say that it will be a couple of days until they can get out.

Thanks for all the help.

And please, leave it alone if you don't know the difference between AC and DC..

I have a very basic (VERY) understanding of how domestic electrics work so would not even dream of touching something that I wasnt sure about.

Arnt they a band?

Do you pay a landlord for electric or an electric supplier??

If it's a landlord then you may have blown your submain fuse or main service fuse ---- ring your landlord

If it's an electric supplier then you've more than likely blown your main service fuse ---- ring your electricity supplier

some times fuses do just blow, so just say that your electricity suddenly went off for no apparent reason

I live in a block off 10 flats and none of my neighbours have been effected.
would I have my own service fuse in my electricity cupboard or would it be on a panel with the service fuse for the rest of the flats?
Im asking out of curiosity before anyone tells me not to go near it/ touch it/ get involved with it.

Thanks again

T

If it is the DNO fuse they ill be out the same day.

Why all this "make up a story" and "tell them the power just failed". Just tell the truth - they are not going to charge you for a one off like this - WPD certainly do not.

You may need to phone your buildings maintenance company for the electric company to gain access to the meter room!

Why all this "make up a story" and "tell them the power just failed". Just tell the truth - they are not going to charge you for a one off like this - WPD certainly do not.

I was going to tell them that i cut one of the wires by mistake but have had now made good.
do you think they will make me get it tested by electrician or will they just come round?

You may need to phone your buildings maintenance company for the electric company to gain access to the meter room!

There is a large cupboard in the hallway on my landing of the communual area with lots of HIGH VOLTAGE signs on differnt size metal cupboards. Im guessing that is the place where all the flats service Fuses will be?

I guess i will find out tomorrow when i call them.

2 more questions -

1. What ampage is that Fuse likely to be

2. What is DNO? Domestic .........?

2 more questions -

1. What ampage is that Fuse likely to be

2. What is DNO? Domestic .........?

60 or 100 amp usually.

Distribution Network Operator

Right

DNO = Distribution Network Operator

Just called EDF (My DNO) and they said that it not there fuse.
the woman said that the main fuse into the building is theirs but the fuse on the "distribution Board" belongs belongs to whoever owns the building.

She did not ask me what the address was but told me that is the case in all blocks of flats.

Now, could she be wrong or does this sound spot on? and also, if i start getting the owner of the block to do this for me he is going to charge me a FORTUNE! which i havnt got. If i got some pictures of this cupboard with all the high voltage signs on tomorrow and posted them up here would anyone be able to tell me what my best option would be please>???

Cheers

Tris

Now, could she be wrong or does this sound spot on? and also, if i start getting the owner of the block to do this for me he is going to charge me a FORTUNE! which i havnt got. If i got some pictures of this cupboard with all the high voltage signs on tomorrow and posted them up here would anyone be able to tell me what my best option would be please>???

I very much doubt your landlord can charge you simply to re-instate your supply. After all, an electricity supply is one of the things you pay them to provide you with. Just don't mention that you caused the fault...

Afaict if the fuse in question is before the meter and you buy your electricity direct from an electricty supplier rather than buying it off the landlord the fuse is the electricity companies responsibility. If the fuse in question is after the meter then it's most likely your responsibility.

Pictures of what is going on are always helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back