Help! My Light Won't Work!

spider-dan said:
The spare red is by itself in a sheath with just an earth.

If it's a round sheath (not a flat one, wher the other wire has been cut off and doesn't show) then it's probably to (or from) the switch.

Do you have two-way switching on that lamp - i.e. a switch at each end of the room to control the same lamp?

Have a look behind the switch, What colour wires do you find?

(Lucy runs off to find her screwdriver) :)

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
1 what? banana? crouton? eon? :confused:

I think "1" on continuity might mean open circuit, or, resistance higher than the meter can measure.

What does the reading change to when you touch the two probes together?

spider-dan said:
The light in the lounge comes on and stays on, the upstairs lights are now working.
That means there is an error in the way the lounge switch is connected at the rose

spider-dan said:
The light in the lounge will only come on if I turn the kitchen light on.

BTW that means you have an error in the way the kitchen rose is wired, but please, let's just work on one rose at a time for now.

Thanks

The multimeter changes to 0 when I press the probes together on the continuity setting. It changes to 0.04 on the 200ohms setting.

The wire is in a round sheath so I guess it goes to the switch, the room does have a 2 way switch. Do you need me to take both switch covers off to have a look at the wiring?

Sponsored Links
Yes please! Two way wiring means three times as many wires!

Don't disconnect anything. Turn the power off first.

How many lamps are controlled by the same switches in that room?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back