HELP - NEED A NEW BOILER

They do however visit the council tidy tip a lot and pick up old thrown out TV's, DVD players, computers, laptops etc bring them home and plugging them in. Do you think this could be the cause.
It is a probable cause and in my view it would be worth the investment for a bit of surge protection. Its better than fitting a new boiler only to find you have the same problem.
It crossed my mind earlier that some of this could be a scam to avoid paying rent. The idea of your tenants playing about with the boiler for personal gain is getting a little stronger now. As you know your tenants, do you think they are capable of it?

Sponsored Links
You know I feel a lot better someone has mentioned this might be a sacm. It did cross my mind but when I mentioned it to my partner, he didnt think anyone in their right senses would go without heating for over a month just to avoid paying rent. Especially as it was so cold over Xmas, having said that when I walked into their house during this period it didnt seem that cold to me for a house that had been without heating - no steamed up windows or anything.

It just seems so odd that the boiler breaks down so often. I dont know how many replacable parts a boiler has but even if it was a dodgy boiler with a manufacturing defect, lots of the "already replaced" parts are now breaking down.

We rent out two properties and the other has a 30 ish year old glow worm hideaway and in the 4 years we have had the property we have only replaced the pump. it just doesnt seem right.

Are there any Biasi heating engineers out there in MK please?

Model number - M96245SM/C
GC NO - 47-970-23
serial number - NO11980905GB

I spoke to Homeserve today about the frequency of the PCB breaking down, but they have confirmed they have never changed the PCB. Apparently the last time the boiler broke down they diagnosed it was a PCB failure, It was ordered and the engineer bought it with him as well as some other parts but the engineer managed to get the boiler working without replacing the pcb.....of course they didnt bother telling me this!

Anyway to cut a long story short, the PCB now needs replacing but they don't have them in stock and have to search the country to see if they can find one and are not sure if they can get one or not. I have been advised I can look for another Corgi engineer to fix the boiler and they will pay for it.

Sponsored Links
dont worry found it Biasi Riva compact HE

Not sure if you have the 2004 or the 2005 model

but if the 2004 model

both PCB's on it are a "special" oreder from parts centre which means they are availible but they will have to order from the makers

If its the 2005

the electronic board is not in stock at any of my local shops (parts centre) If I had you local I would check your local stores

They are still very availible though just may take a while to get.

Give homeserve so abuse and they WILL sort you, IMO they aint a bad outfit and do strive to provide customer service, give some of you local boiler stores a call and see if you can get them

if you want more help feel free to email me

fed_up said:
Anyway to cut a long story short, the PCB now needs replacing but they don't have them in stock and have to search the country to see if they can find one and are not sure if they can get one or not. I have been advised I can look for another Corgi engineer to fix the boiler and they will pay for it.

What a load of nonsence!

Its very unlikely the PCB has failed anyway!

However, all the boiler parts are available direct from Biasi for next day delivery.

They can often be found in stock at merchants under the Idea Mini HE listing.

The later boilers have a single integrated PCB but its more likely that yours has two PCBs though.

We keep all of them in stock.

Tony

From the spares listing at the Biasi website:-

106 Electronic control --- ignition p.c.b.
from serial no. N089440605
up to serial no. N046650905
1 BI1715 100 M
12/2005

To help you make a little sense of your serial number
The N = Natural Gas
The next five digits are the serial number
the 0905 part translates to September 2005

Stick the part number BI17151000 in the search engine

HERE

I dont believe this............. I have been told by Homeserve they are not off the shelf parts and cannot get hold of them for at least 10 days and in the mean time if I can get someone else to do the work they will pay for it.

Please can someone help me. Can I have a price and where I can get one of these from so I can buy one and claim the money back off them.
Needless to say, I am very angry I have been lied to like this.

Thank you every one for all your very helpful comments. I used to wonder why plumbers & corgi engineers charged so much but goodness I can see from the information and advice given on this website that there is a lot more to it than I first thought .....Sounds all very complicated to me so I am sticking to the day job.

Well done guys and girls.

Hold up

you said that Homeserve could not get the parts EVER, now you say they can get it ten days.

Make your mind up!

I know that homeserve pretty much exclusivly use parts centre (as I do) and I have had a word with my branch and they estimate about the same delivery time.

also I think they are being very fair saying that if you can get someone to do it quicker they will pay for it.

What more do you want and where have you been lied to????

I am not a cheer leader for anyone but I think you are being very unfair to them.

corgiman said:
Hold up

you said that Homeserve could not get the parts EVER, now you say they can get it ten days.

Make your mind up!

I know that homeserve pretty much exclusivly use parts centre (as I do) and I have had a word with my branch and they estimate about the same delivery time.

also I think they are being very fair saying that if you can get someone to do it quicker they will pay for it.

I am not a cheer leader for anyone but I think you are being very unfair to them.

tought thee well bonny lad :LOL: :LOL: ;)

kevplumb said:
corgiman said:
Hold up

Make your mind up!

tought thee well bonny lad :LOL: :LOL: ;)

That you did bonny dad

:)

Some aspects of the previous information given by "fed-up" were not very accurate and I suspect exagerated.

He has not explained why the boiler was not repaired from the begining of December until the 15 January by Homeserve. I also wonder why he called Homeserve when his boiler was still covered by the manufacturer's guarantee.

I would not trust the Homeserve engineer to have necessarily found the real fault and I still think you need a competent engineer to correctly diagnose the fault.

This boiler has not been fitted in accordance with the Building Regulations, no bypass, TRVs or roomstat for example. Perhaps by a non CORGI installer?

These boilers are very reliable and I would be very surprised if the PCB has really failed again.

I also wonder what the built in diagnostic lights are showing!

Tony

You could be right about the homeserve engineer Agile, but there is no way any of us could ascertain his competentcy fromt he info given by the OP

Whether or not he has got the diagnosis wrong the OP stated that Homeserve said that could not source the part in any way, then he tells us that they can get it in ten days

I personnally have had parts that have taken this long, sometimes longer (for example a six week wait for a jaguar diverter valve). A long wait does NOT mean they are not willing to complete the job.

from what the OP has said I think Homeserve have offered the best service they can.

corgiman said:
You could be right about the homeserve engineer Agile, but there is no way any of us could ascertain his competentcy from the info given by the OP

The OP has already told us:-

"""I spoke to Homeserve today about the frequency of the PCB breaking down, but they have confirmed they have never changed the PCB. Apparently the last time the boiler broke down they diagnosed it was a PCB failure, It was ordered and the engineer bought it with him as well as some other parts but the engineer managed to get the boiler working without replacing the pcb.....of course they didnt bother telling me this!

He has previously wrongly diagnosed the fault as being a PCB. We all know that if someone cannot find the fault then they always blame the PCB ( until they fit a new one and find it does not fix the fault that is ! )

Although the PCB was changed under the warranty, I dont think that it had actually failed as it seems the real fault was the electrodes. Some engineers will change a PCB as well as a precaution because the electrode fault is not identifyable by inspection or testing them.

That PCB also has programming from the front panel by a tedious method of pushing buttons for varying lengths of time, rotating dials and pushing more buttons. Although not quantifiable I suspect that if the tenants like fiddling as they obviously do if they bring electronic junk home from the tip they may have caused it to lock up by fiddling. They dont have a hard reset button and no obvious way to reset it. I went to one with that problem but managed to unlock it but I dont know exacty what I did.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back