Help needed albeit not "ban all sheds "

I am reading this as the OP having cut the three grey cables leading in and out of the box, no longer knows which is the incoming power, and the outgoing 5amp and 15 amp cable.

Sponsored Links
He certainly ought to know an awful lot by the time he's worked his way through that lot ... that Google search appears to result in ('about') 2,460,000 hits :)

Maybe some slightly more specific (and slightly more restricted) guidance as regards reading/learning would be a little more helpful for him?
I wouldn't anticipate anybody following up all of them.

When you are searching for things on the Internet, is it your practice to look at every hit returned by search engines?

I am reading this as the OP having cut the three grey cables leading in and out of the box, no longer knows which is the incoming power, and the outgoing 5amp and 15 amp cable.
So you think he replaced his garage, which must have involved replacing the cables, but doesn't know which of the cables he replaced go to the lights, and which go to the sockets?

There's a thick red wire and a thin red one. Not sure where the problem lies. Thick = power = 15A.

The problem lies in that there are two thick red wires!
Incoming supply and hopefully socket circuit, but do not but your last pound on it! The OP is unsure which is which. Something that a bit of simple testing will be able to offer a satisfactory answer to.

Sponsored Links
There's a thick red wire and a thin red one. Not sure where the problem lies. Thick = power = 15A.

Hmm, now power is a function of volts x current. So how does a thick wire have 'power'.??
It may have voltage when energised, and carry current when under load, but power??

I think you should be saying that it is possible that the thicker red conductor is the one that is being used for the socket circuit, and the thinner one for the lighting. But size is in the eye of the beholder (ooh matron) and we don't like to assume, do we.?

So, when carrying out electrical works we kind of like to carry out continuity and other tests. then we can fill in the installation certificate with some confidence. (Never seen the word "power" on one of those, either.)

He certainly ought to know an awful lot by the time he's worked his way through that lot ... that Google search appears to result in ('about') 2,460,000 hits :) Maybe some slightly more specific (and slightly more restricted) guidance as regards reading/learning would be a little more helpful for him?
I wouldn't anticipate anybody following up all of them. When you are searching for things on the Internet, is it your practice to look at every hit returned by search engines?
Of course not - but if I am being advised what to read, I don't expect to be presented with a list of ~2.5 million posibilities and left to try to work out which are the 'key' ones I ought to look at! Anyone capable of getting to this forum and posting is message is undoubtedly also capable of doing Google searches without your help. If we are to help them at all in the way you would like, we should, IMO, provide them with a short list of recommended reading.

Kind Regards, John

OK. Middle wire feeds switch. Left hand is 5A (light)wire & Right hand 15A wire I presume fed the socket. Should of photographed the set up before replacing. RCD is at the house consumer box.

To put it simple I only want to replace what was already placed by the electrician before I lived here not change in any way.

This should be right?

OK. Middle wire feeds switch. Left hand is 5A (light)wire & Right hand 15A wire I presume fed the socket.
But you have got rid of all the old cables, and installed new.

So you must know which one goes to the light, and which to the socket.

To put it simple I only want to replace what was already placed by the electrician before I lived here not change in any way.
But in replacing it it becomes your responsibility. You can't copy what was there before, as that might have been wrong.

Then there's the issue of testing.... http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/8.1.1.htm

Only if you perversely regard providing means for the OP to become competent to do electrical work as unhelpful.

Ah, slight misreading -I thought the OP had described the circuit served by the 15A fuse as power to sockets. Must go to specsavers. TTC -even I knew that :D , but it is quite common for householders to describe circuits as 'light' or 'power' and I've seen some old fuseboxes with exactly that labelling.

So is this an accurate summary?

The OP has a 2way CU, with an incomer, a 5A fuse and a 15A fuse, and he has a garage with a cable coming from the house CU and new cables in the garage which he put in and are connected to a light and a socket, and he doesn't know what goes where in the 2-way CU?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back