Help needed is immersion safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a strange problem. A year ago I had to replace my immersion heater element for a new one with thermostat cutout. It works fine, however the thermostat keeps vibrating inside the element when switched on, making a shuddering noise. If I touch the top of the element I can feel the vibration.
I have also replaced the wire, as the neutral wire over a period of time keeps burning off as if its overheating.

Has anyone come across this vibration of thermostats before?

i'm worried it may be unsafe.

Jon.

Sponsored Links
Is the flex to the immersion of the correct size, heat resistant and connected securely to the terminals?

Other than that I can only suggest calling in an approved electrician to check the wiring and the circuit.

Perhaps the electrical forum would be a better place to post this query.

This is usually a sign of loose connections, causing sparking and therefore overheating of the wire.
I think I'd be replacing the thermostat, and not using the heater until then if possible. Either way, I wouldn't like to leave the house with it switched on - just my opinion though.
John :)

Good point -I wouldn`t leave it alone either :eek: And get a sparks to check all over too. It`s the 50 Hertz that causes the buzzing if something is loose/ not making proper contact :idea:

Sponsored Links
If a wire keeps getting damaged, have you addressed the problem with the termination, or just refitted an already heat damaged wire onto an already damaged terminal?

The copper of the cable is softened by overheating, allowing the wires to deform under the clamping screws, loosening the terminals, again leading to a high resistance and further damage.

The thickened oxide layer on the surface of the wire and terminal offer a high electrical resistance, again leading to further overheating.

Anything other than clean, bright metal on both the wire and the terminal, and correct tightening of the terminal is likely to result in a high resistance termination that will probably overheat again, causing even more damage.

Could be the problem then. The terminals all look dull. I've replace the wiring with new, but still get the vibrating of the thermostat.
Will give it all a clean and try again. Just to be sure, can anyone confirm the wiring. I wired it up exactly as it originaly was but want to make sure. This is UK by the way.
I fitted this whole element and thermostat brand new a year ago, and right from the start I got the vibration. Surely the terminals should have all been clean then.

A year ago you bought a DUD :cry: . Probably 11 months too late to take it back now . Have to be a new Good Quality one complete. Maybe Electrics forum can suggest best quality one :idea:

A year ago you bought a DUD :cry: . Probably 11 months too late to take it back now . Have to be a new Good Quality one complete. Maybe Electrics forum can suggest best quality one :idea:

Is there a way of testing the thermostat with a voltmeter to see if its faulty?

Put a multimeter set to ohms across the stat terminals and when the stat is on it should read zero resistance....when the stat is off there should be no continuity. Its just a switch.
Personally I'd go for a new, high quality heater complete with stat.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back