Help please with appliance and ext lead

CBW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening good people,

I’m after some advice, my tumble dryer plug top and extension lead socket outlet seem to be browning. Weirdly though it’s the face of extension lead and the top part of plug, doesn’t seem to be the pin side of plug? Photos attached

Attachments

• 1883ABC2-81AF-4D81-8CE5-CDBD1012A06A.jpeg
    1883ABC2-81AF-4D81-8CE5-CDBD1012A06A.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 231
  • 03501202-1029-4979-B323-2CB9183619DB.jpeg
    03501202-1029-4979-B323-2CB9183619DB.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 197
Sponsored Links
A fuse works by the wire inside melting when the current goes over the rating, so all fuses run hot, which is why all plugs should be in free air for cooling. Also some of the heat is transmitted down the line pin, and transferred to the socket and from socket into the wall, as a result most high power items say you should not use an extension lead.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Double sockets are especially prone to overheating when a large load is connected to both sides.

• Thanks
Double sockets are especially prone to overheating when a large load is connected to both sides.
It seems that they are. However, we are talking here about an 'extension lead', which has two or more outlets (only two can be seen in the cropped photo) - albeit presumably theoretically 'limited' to 13A total load across all the outlets.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
which has two or more outlets (only two can be seen in the cropped photo) - albeit presumably theoretically 'limited' to 13A total load across all the outlets.

Kind Regards, John
It has 2 outlets, but only the one is used for tumble dryer only. The other isn’t used.Would it be better to have a single use one or pay for another socket outlet? I’d probably be able to spur off existing double socket, but not sure my wife wants me to as I’m not an electrician.

Last edited:
as a result most high power items say you should not use an extension lead.
Would I be better using a socket outlet direct then? Might have to rearrange the garage slightly or pay for a spur.

Fitting a longer lead to the appliance would allow the use of the wall socket without needing an extension lead.

Cheap ( or expensive but badly designed ) plugs should be avoided.

• Thanks
Fitting a longer lead to the appliance would allow the use of the wall socket without needing an extension lead.
So either cut off existing moulded plug and extend there, or renew from appliance? Would I just need to get the correct rating cable then and use a standard plug?

The burning is over the neutral connection so probably a loose wire in the plug causing the overheating. Either way chop off and fit a new plug and replace the extension lead and socket. An electrician can always check the circuit if you suspect that to be the cause.

Screwfix do robust rubber plugs and sockets which you can wire up yourself with new 1.5 mm flex

Blup

• Thanks
This might sound like a stupid question, but could I use a back box, 1 gang socket outlet and some twin and Earth or flex and make my own sort of extension cable that way? Or better to do as @blup suggested?

Using a metal socket and stuffing gland yes you can make a good quality extension lead,
ae235
I would not use twin and earth as really hard to get into a plug.
8797P_P
and good quality plug
68744_P
however I have used these
PL00409-40.jpg
in the past with no problems, as long as in free air there should be no problem.

• Thanks
Also is there a way to test if the neutral is loose internally? Eg a resistance check?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back