HELP PLEASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
or advice got a problem with my house ring tripping it stays on for about 5 mins then bloes the mcb and rcd ,had some work done to the plumbing about a week ago, have had skts off to look for pressure faults,i have a 1651 fluke and i digital megger that were my fathers who has recently passed away, was wondering if anyone could tell me how to find the fault using either. cant realy afford a spark think i could sort it myself with advice thanks anyone

Sponsored Links
The first question to ask is did it trip prior to the plumbing

Well I know where I would start looking then. Specially if the plumber has added a spurr off your ring to supply a boiler or whatever. Switch the MCB off before you start though ;)

Sponsored Links
yeh but it blows the rcd with a flass surely thats a dead short live to earth n why would it take so long to start tripping

What was the plumber doing?

Has he drilled any holes into your walls?

Check that the conductors are not loose in the mcb.

Had exactly the same fault reported on a job today
" every thing is ok for 10 mins then the mcb trips"
Got there & found new set of tails to extend old ringmain into new cu, found that the line conductors were sat behind the terminal in the mcb, so not pinched up in terminal.
CU change done by a kitchen fitter, who when contacted by the customer said he was to busy to go back for a week or two.

checked mains all seems ok like i say both mcb and rcd trip thanks cant find anything to eye

yeh but it blows the rcd with a flass surely thats a dead short live to earth n why would it take so long to start tripping
sharp edge+cable+movement sounds like the most likely cause to me. Initially the insualtion would stop it shorting but gradually the sharp edge would work through it. Once the insualtion was gone it would be ok most of the time but trip when the sharp edge happened to move into the cable.

Unfortuately intermittant faults are always the hardest to find, they have a nasty habbit of going away when you start trying to look for them. This makes your testers little use.

I would remove all sockets, straigten out the cables and carefully inspect them for proper grommet use and any insulation damage. To repair damaged insulation use some form of sleeving (heatshrink is best so it doesn't move along the cable once fitted).

Failing that it is time to reopen any areas the plumber worked in and inspect any cables that run near his pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back