help plz hanging a rad on a really nice wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am working in a holiday chalet and I need to move a radiator off an outside wall to an internal wall, no problem normally but the internal wall is just made from 3 sheets of plasterboard?

Any ideas what sort of fixings to use to hold the rad/brackets on?

Sponsored Links
Are the Walls hollow?

Or the wall 'is' 3 sheets of plaster board sandwiched together?

Sponsored Links
Its a curious method of wall construction, but anyway with hollow wall fixings the plain bit of the neck ( between the collapsing bit and the screw) needs to be just less than the total thickness of the wall for them to work correctly.
John :)

3 sheets of plasterboard sandwiched together will give you a problem with the hollow anchors collapsing part. If it's possible cut out the drywall, screw in wood, refill with lightweight filler and then hang the rad. It'll be tighter than a nuns front bum then!

I can't see any normal plasterboard fixings working without coming through the wall to the next room!
Is it an option to put lengths of 3x1 timber vertically on the wall in the adjoining room, then screw screws through the plasterboard into the timber from the other side, cutting / filing off any of the screw that shows through the wood if the screws are too long? - Hope that makes sense!

Yeah those fixings that I suggested,would not work on 3 sheets together.

I think Iddy has the right idea

I can't see any normal plasterboard fixings working without coming through the wall to the next room!
Is it an option to put lengths of 3x1 timber vertically on the wall in the adjoining room, then screw screws through the plasterboard into the timber from the other side, cutting / filing off any of the screw that shows through the wood if the screws are too long? - Hope that makes sense!

yeah that makes sense, just a shame to have exposed timber in the adjoining room :( but it may be hidden behind a wardrobe?

Have hung 1400 by 600 rads on the the ones suggested by youth and they have never been a problem , they come in a few sizes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back