help...radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have to take off my radiator,as a plasterer coming tommorow,ive turned down the valve with the heat control knob and turned down the one the other end,gone to undo the nut onto the radiator on the valve side but water still comin out of the pipe through the valve,its a combi system,can you tell me what i have to do ...PLEASE

Sponsored Links
TRV? Use the decorators cap supplied with the valve to completely shut the thing off when the valve top is unscrewed. However, the flow will stop anyway when your boiler pressure reaches zero.

It seems you have a TRV- thermo rad valve- these invariably will not turn off completly.
You need a decorators cap, but not for your head, for the valve head.
So take off the thermo head by unscrewing the ring below and screw on dec cap tight-ish.

THANKS,but put it back on yesterday in panic,now its tight,and just keeps turning round and round,either way,wat the hell is goin on now....

Sponsored Links
soz...right got the plastic control off by turning,the nut below to reveal a brass nut with a pin in the middle,now what....please

Now you put the decorator's cap where the the adjustable head was. Alternatively, you blank the valve itself.

Decorator's cap come with the trv, never seen them sold separately.

You need to cap the valve then, but as a diyer I presume you won't have the materials, so friend/relative could help ? Or its a plumber!!

im a decorator (without a cap),and work on a site,do you think the plumbers will have one that fits,are they all same size......

As many different sizes and threads as there are manufacturers. I wouldn't say it is the decorator's responsibility to find a solution for removing the rad or supplying the cap; the owner had them when the trv's were fitted. Not your fault the silly ass lost them.

Just out of curiosity in case I ever get stuck, how do you secure the g-clamp in such a way that it is not easily knocked sideways and comes off?
I'd be as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.
If half possible, I'd blank the valve.

Put a coin or similar inside the thermostat head (bluetac will hold it in place)
Set it to Max
Replace onto the valve body
Screw the valve head down slowly until it stops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back