Help required with Bristan shower valve wall fixings please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening.

Our shower valve recently came away from its wall fixing. I have checked it and it looks as though the fixing screws have corroded and sheared off.

Any ideas on how the valve assembly is removed from the wall fixing plate on this valve please? I have examined it and can't see a grub screw, as I know sometimes these are used. The circular cap on top of the valve can be removed to reveal a hexagon key plug. I was wondering if this is what needs to be removed in order to allow the valve body to come away from the fixing.

The valve is a Bristan type but I can't see a model number on it and can't find details on the Bristan website. It is however quite old (more than 15 years) so I may even decide to replace the entire valve assembly.

Excuse the cable tie, but it's there temporarily to support the pipes by preventing the valve from dropping down.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2124.jpg

Sponsored Links
1. If the screws have sheared the shower, with wall plate, will come off if you isolate hot and cold and undo the big nuts on the elbows either side.
2. With the shower off it should be easier to work out how the fixing plate is secured to the shower body.
3. I'd be very surprised if a hexagon plug secures the fixing plate.

Thanks for the info. The one frustrating thing in my house is that the previous owner never had isolating valves fitted to any of the outlets, so means water will need to be turned off at stop cock. I was hoping to avoid this if possible, but if it is the only way of identifying how to separate the valve body from the wall plate then so be it, unless anyone else has any ideas. I removed the hexagon key plug and opened the valve by lifting the lever. Result was water running out from there, but I've no idea whether this is indeed how the valve body is removed from the wall plate. I can't see any other screws that may be holding them together anyway.

Sponsored Links
It looks similar to ours where the output can be changed from top to bottom or vice versa of the valve if the supply pipes are not as standard ie. hot on left cold on right. You will need to disconnect the pipes to refit the faceplate to the wall so you will have to isolate the water supply anyway. The grub screw should be at the bottom of the fixing plate but perhaps covered in limescale so try a limescale remover first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back