help to get these taps off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys I'm doing a bit of a favour for an old dear, friend of a friend and that. The taps on her basin are 40 years old and boxed in underneath. Basically they will not undo, I have taken off the pipe and just need to undo the tightly sealed lock nut. Ordinary tap spanner won't fit as its in a reccess, my halfords 27mm long socket is about 1/4" to short due to the long thread on the tap and I cant access to cut it shorter. Don't want to damage the tap anyway as if it won't come off I will need to reconnect it. Anyone know where to get a longer socket or other tool which may work? Ta.

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem at a place i rent out. Taps were leaking so i went in to replace them, but couldnt undo them. Broke 2 of those funny looking spanners trying it. One was a multi thing, the other was cast iron lol.

Next time i go ill be taking the grinder with me :LOL:

Have a look at Machine Mart. They do a set of box spanners that may get you out of this mess. They can be connected together to reach awkward places. Got me out of a bind earlier this year.

Machine Mart- Metric 5 piece box spanner set + bars 12-27mm - order code 040210202 - £ 14.04 inc VAT. Or Monument do a box spanner for taps which may solve your predicament.

Sponsored Links
ollski said:
Anyone know where to get a longer socket or other tool which may work? Ta.
I would present her with a gift of a new contract basin and some contract taps.

Then you can use the special speedy tap and basin removal tool:

p3438005_l.jpg

I`ve got a couple of new shires basins+peds.sort of retro fluted things :rolleyes: too good to chuck out .brand new if you want to check out courier from sussex to you.....and one that won`t break them into 1000 bits :rolleyes: Gratis of course

Take off the tap tops including the barrels and get a big metal twist bit and drill down the inside of the tap towards the thread. Thread falls off and tap can be removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back