Help (want to knock down house wall)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
This is my first post so please go easy on me. I need some advise on a project I'm considering. I have uploaded a rough plan so you get some sort of idea what I'm talking about.
When I moved into my property it had had a front extension. Its a mid terrace with integral garage. The front of the property is extended to be in-line with the garage (the garage started before the house if that makes sense) The construction is only single brick and the original house front is still in place making the extension part a type of utility area. I want to knock out the original front part of the house and make it into a large kitchen. I have already taken down the wall to the hallway. What is the best way to do this. Do I need to make the front double brick? Can I just build a new internal wall to do this and use brick ties to tie it to the front wall? Any advice gratefully received.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Your extension will certainly need improving if you're turning it into a habitable area. Was it built with planning permission or to any building standards of its day? Sorry to sound pessimistic, but you probably need to get some professional help in sooner rather than later. There's no way of telling how good your foundations are or whether they could even take an additional leaf of wall. This and a host of other issues would be better dealt with by someone who does plans for extensions for a living and is up to date on current building regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back