Help wiring extractor hood

He meant the screws in the connector blocks.

Are you using - putting the fuse in - the correct FCU?
Oh ok. Yes screws in the connectors are sitting fine and touching the copper wiring.

Well the 13a was fine and I swapped the dead 3a for a 5a, so technically they’re both fine if that’s what you mean?

Sponsored Links
Coco,
Apologises. When I said check the screws I meant at the termination block between the old wire and the new hood wire. This was in case the wires inside the termination black were not properly connecting to metal (all it needs is one wire ):

View attachment 170393

Hey, yes I checked as I’ve had this problem before. The screws were all sitting firmly on the copper wire end and I made sure to tug gently to see that they didn’t fall out

Is it worth wiring the extractor cable into one of the fuse boxes? Feel like I have my work cut out :/

NO! You need a multimeter to check the white cable on blue and brown wires. Supposed to be 230 volts AC although 240 and higher is more common. (mine was 258VAC last I checked). Test using the block you connected up to the extractor as it's safer for you.

If you can not test for yourself, you need to get someone in to test for you. It does not need to be an electrician, just someone with a meter and a clue how to use it !!

Sponsored Links
Coco,
Sorry to say that I think I have reached my ability to advise from a distance as all my following suggestions need a suitable CAT III multimeter and experience handling one around live cables.
I feel it is time for an electrician or someone with more experiance to determine the source of that cable and why no longer live.
SFK

The white supply cable coming out the wall has several indentations/ damage to the outer sheath ,as though it has been bent sharply and clamped. Maybe one of the inner conductors is broken.
Do you have a fuse board or a consumer unit with circuit breakers ?
What exactly did you do to isolate the extractor originally ,before removing it ?
When mounting the new extractor ,did you have to drill into the wall ?
Are any other sockets or appliances not working ?

So I decided to leave off tampering with wires as it just seemed too fiddly (and dangerous). I drilled a hole in the unit instead to pass the power cord through. I reattached the plug i’d initially cut off and also extended the length of the cable so it would reach the nearest socket. Problem solved!

Thank you all so much for your help and sound advice throughout this ordeal. I’ve definitely learned a few new things along the way :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back