Help with crimping

John/Bernard,

Just to clarify, am i correct in saying that the answer to my question-
'have you had personal experience of a failed crimp in a domestic setting'

the short answer was 'no' from both of you...

Sponsored Links
Mike ( mikhailfaradayski )

It is irrelevent whether or not I have seen a failed crimp in the domestic situation.

My experience of crimping is that the joint has a good chance of being reliable but there is always a significant risk that a crimped joint will not be created properly and will subsequently fail.

I am NOT against crimped joints. I simply know from experience of crimped joints that they can fail and therefore like any joint ( other than welded ) they should be accessible for inspection and if necessary repair.

John/Bernard, Just to clarify, am i correct in saying that the answer to my question-
Indeed, the answer from me is no different from when I answered the question a few days ago. However, as I pointed out then, this proves nothing - and, indeed, as I attempted to demonstrate with some guesstimated figures, the fact that a busy electrician with decades of experience hadn't seen a failed crimp wouldn't prove much, either.

There are countless possible failures of all aspects and components of electrical installations that I know do happen, but the fact that (through lack of experience/exposure) I haven't personally seen most of them obviously doesn't mean anything.

Like Bernard, although I personally have some theoretical concerns about crimped solid conductors (as, apparently, do NASA, MOD and other organisations), I accept that they are used and usually don't fail (just as is the case with screwed terminals), and am not suggesting they should necessarily be 'banned'. However, again like Bernard, the one thing you will never convince me (unless you can find a lot of strong data) is that it makes sense to allow such joints to be inaccessible, whilst that is not permitted for screwed connections. That differential attitude would only make sense if there were very good evidence that the failure rate of crimped (solid conductor) connections is very much less than that of screwed connections, and I really do not believe that such data exist.

Kind Regards, John.

Are the environments in which NASA, MOD etc, proscribe crimped joints with solid conductors similar to those in domestic dwellings?

Sponsored Links
It is not practicable to inspect every joint and termination in an electrical installation. You just do a sample.
I don't doubt that's true - but if the joints are inaccessible, none of them will get inspected.

Beneath floorboards is generally regarded as accessible provided an appropriate section of the floor can be easily lifted.
Is that really true? I'd be very interested to hear other views on that, particularly from practising electricians who do PIRs. If one adopted that interpretation, then I would think that a high proportion of 'concealed JBs' out there would actually be compliant.

What does 'easily lifted' mean, anyway? The presence of a floor covering would seeming be a serious encumberance to access, yet if there is no floor covering, no-one is going to welcoming you destroying the aesthetics.

Kind Regards, John.

Are the environments in which NASA, MOD etc, proscribe crimped joints with solid conductors similar to those in domestic dwellings?
Needless to say, I don't know enough about their rules and standards to answer that. Some of the environments will obvioulsy be extreme, but the NASA prohibition (which is the only one I've seen) sounds like a pretty 'blanket' one, which very probably applies to any environment.

Anyway, I'm not trying to make much mileage out of NASA and MOD. My concerns are personal ones (coupled with having been taught many years ago that one should not crimp solid conductors), regardless of what any organisations may think.

Are there not any British or European Standards on joints that we could refer to?

Kind Regards, John.

What does 'easily lifted' mean, anyway?

A full building survey I commissioned limited floor board lifting to only loose or partly nailed boards that were not tongue and grooved. Boards screwed to joists could be lifted. Chipboard sheet flooring would not be lifted unless small areas could be unscrewed and lifted.

A full building survey I commissioned limited floor board lifting to only loose or partly nailed boards that were not tongue and grooved. Boards screwed to joists could be lifted. Chipboard sheet flooring would not be lifted unless small areas could be unscrewed and lifted.
Was that also assuming that no floor coverings were present?

Even if there are bits of floorboard that are fairly easily removed (e.g. screwed) , I really can't see how the BS7671 requirement for an 'accessible location' would be satisfied if one had to remove, say, a fitted carpet in oder to gain access to those bits of floorboard!

Kind Regards, John.

John,

You could try BS7609 "Code of practice for installation and inspection of uninsulated compression and mechanical connectors for power cables with copper or aluminium conductors", BS 5G 178-1:1993 "Crimped joints for aircraft electrical cables and wires. Specification for design requirements (including tests) for components and tools", BS 4G 178-2:1986 "Crimped joints for aircraft electrical cables and wires. Specification for control of crimping (including user control tests)" but I don't have access to any of those.

Many decades ago, when I was a technician in a Tech College, one of my roles was to make up patch leads for the students to link various pieces of apparatus together for practical experiments. I was very suspicious of the crimps I was told to use and along with techinicians in some of the other departments we did some research into the dependability of crimped joints as opposed to solder joints. This involved tesing for vibration resistance, pull-out force, bending resistance, voltage drop. We sectioned and etched some samples to look at the metallic structure under a microscope, and temperature-cycled some to accelerate ageing.
The results showed crimps to be far more dependable than soldering, as well as having lower electrical resistance thanks to being a cold weld rather than just a friction joint. Solid conductors were just as good electrically, but were more likely to fail the bending tests. Manual tinning of the leads before crimping led to early failures, but funnily enough using tinned stranded wire was as good as bare copper.
These tests were all done with a manual non-ratchet crimping tool, and AMP uninsulated crimps.

On the accessibility discussion, isn't the advantage of having junction boxes accessible that they can easily be tightened when they satart to overheat? Screw terminals seem to be more susceptible to creep that crimps, perhaps because in a (good) crimp there is nowhere for the copper to creep to, whereas in a screw terminal there is usually some free space alongside the conductor.

John, You could try BS7609 "Code of practice for installation and inspection of uninsulated compression and mechanical connectors for power cables with copper or aluminium conductors", BS 5G 178-1:1993 "Crimped joints for aircraft electrical cables and wires. Specification for design requirements (including tests) for components and tools", BS 4G 178-2:1986 "Crimped joints for aircraft electrical cables and wires. Specification for control of crimping (including user control tests)" but I don't have access to any of those.
Thanks. I don't have access to them either but, in any event, I suspect that some of those here wuld (rightly) say that the environment of an aircraft (and the consequences of failure) are not comparable with domestic electrical installations!

....I was very suspicious of the crimps I was told to use and along with techinicians in some of the other departments we did some research into the dependability of crimped joints as opposed to solder joints. This involved tesing for vibration resistance, pull-out force, bending resistance, voltage drop. We sectioned and etched some samples to look at the metallic structure under a microscope, and temperature-cycled some to accelerate ageing.
The results showed crimps to be far more dependable than soldering, as well as having lower electrical resistance thanks to being a cold weld rather than just a friction joint. Solid conductors were just as good electrically, but were more likely to fail the bending tests. Manual tinning of the leads before crimping led to early failures, but funnily enough using tinned stranded wire was as good as bare copper. These tests were all done with a manual non-ratchet crimping tool, and AMP uninsulated crimps.
Thanks again. That's very interesting, and certainly the closest to 'data' that I've yet seen. I think we're probably all agreed that if cold welding does occur, then it's likely to be a pretty reliable joint, and the doubts relate primarily whether or not that occurs. Did your research give any insight into how commonly one does get a true cold weld?

On the accessibility discussion, isn't the advantage of having junction boxes accessible that they can easily be tightened when they satart to overheat?
That's obviously part of it, but I think there's an 'inspection' element as well as a 'maintenance' one - i.e. looking for any evidence of overheating - and that would be relevant in terms of crimped as well as screwed joints. I suppose my view is that all joints in cable should be accessible for inspection, with the possible exception of welded/brazed ones (which I imagine are very rare in domestic installations).

Screw terminals seem to be more susceptible to creep that crimps, perhaps because in a (good) crimp there is nowhere for the copper to creep to, whereas in a screw terminal there is usually some free space alongside the conductor.
Maybe - but, as you've probably seen, I've questioned this in relation to crimped joints produced by a single-plane hand 'squashing' tool - which I can't help feeling might leave opportunity for sideways creep in at least some cases. The real problem with a crimped joint is that without destructively testing it (sectioning for microscopical examination), one can't be sure what has exactly happened inside an individual crimp.

A lot of it obviously comes down to skill/experience in producing the crimped joint - and that is always going to be a potential unknown. Over the years, I have tried to make a lot (probably hundreds) of crimped joints (whilst 'experimenting') and it is the results of those experiments which probably result in most of my concerns. Hence, I would be particularly concerned about crimped joints made by an electrician who does it only occasionally.

Kind Regards, John.

John, I'm going to try to get hold of BS 7609, but it might have to wait until I can get to BSI.

Did your research give any insight into how commonly one does get a true cold weld?
Every time once you've got the hang of it.

I suppose my view is that all joints in cable should be accessible for inspection
I see your point, but a properly made crimped joint will not overheat, whereas a screw terminal is very likely to loosen over time, as shown by many of the posts on this forum.

crimped joints produced by a single-plane hand 'squashing' tool
This is a difficult discussion without finding pictures and I don't have BAS' skills at searching for images, but if you mean the sort of tool that Halfords sell, that squashes a circular tube to an oval or diamond shape, then I agree. The good crimping tools squash to something like a hexagon shape and surround the terminal while doing so, such that the airspace is squeezed out of the terminal and replaced by copper. The old AMP ones we used in the college consisted of two semi-circular dies, with a single point protruding into one of them. That made the cold weld. There was also another die set, to be used further along the cable (i.e. where the tail of the terminal approaches the insulation) that had one semicircular die and one shaped like a rounded letter W, which rolled the seam of the tube into the conductor and the insulation.

Yes, the process needs a modicum of skill with some kinds of crimp, but that's why the ratchet crimp tools were introduced. Having said that, the OP didn't have much luck with one brand. My biggest concern is the use of tools and terminals that are not designed to be used together, when no amount of skill is likley to result in a good joint.

John, I'm going to try to get hold of BS 7609, but it might have to wait until I can get to BSI.
Many thanks. I'll be interested to hear what it has to say. Hopefully it will also reference some data.
Did your research give any insight into how commonly one does get a true cold weld?
Every time once you've got the hang of it.
Interesting, and surprising to me. I certainly don't think I managed to achieve a cold weld in many of the crimps I've tried to make - but see below about tools.

I see your point, but a properly made crimped joint will not overheat, whereas a screw terminal is very likely to loosen over time, as shown by many of the posts on this forum.
That's obviously dependent on 'answers' which I don't feel I have. If I had been convinced that "properly made crimped joints don't overheat", then I would be on the way to agreeing with you - but I think I'd still have fears about the "properly made" bit. Let's face it, you don't have to look any further than this form to hear about some of the diabolically incompetent things that some electricians have been known to do - so the idea that they are also allowed to 'hide' some of their handywork is always going to be a concern to me. ... I would imagine that we can all agree that a badly made crimped joint can overheat or otherwise fail.

This is a difficult discussion without finding pictures and I don't have BAS' skills at searching for images, but if you mean the sort of tool that Halfords sell, that squashes a circular tube to an oval or diamond shape, then I agree. The good crimping tools squash to something like a hexagon shape and surround the terminal while doing so, such that the airspace is squeezed out of the terminal and replaced by copper. The old AMP ones we used in the college consisted of two semi-circular dies, with a single point protruding into one of them. That made the cold weld. There was also another die set, to be used further along the cable (i.e. where the tail of the terminal approaches the insulation) that had one semicircular die and one shaped like a rounded letter W, which rolled the seam of the tube into the conductor and the insulation.
That's how it should be, and I imagine that such tools are probably pretty good at producing cold welds. However, I own three different makes of ratchet crimpers (acquired over time), similar to the ones that BAS advocates, and have examined many others in shops, and none of them correspond remotely to what you describe. None of those I have, or have seen, are much more than a glorified pair of pliers; the dies are slighly concave on one side and U-shaped on the other, with the gap between dies (when closed) a bit smaller on one side than the other. There is no way that such tools could producing anything like a hex crimp.

Yes, the process needs a modicum of skill with some kinds of crimp, but that's why the ratchet crimp tools were introduced. Having said that, the OP didn't have much luck with one brand. My biggest concern is the use of tools and terminals that are not designed to be used together, when no amount of skill is likley to result in a good joint.
That's certainly one concern but, as above, my other is that I don't believe that even the best design possible (certainly along the lines of the ones I've seen) would be foolproof enough to ensure that some of the jokers who are undoubtedly out there would always produce reasonable joints.

Kind Regards, John.

Mike ( mikhailfaradayski )

It is irrelevent whether or not I have seen a failed crimp in the domestic situation.
It is directly relevant to the question I asked.
My experience of crimping is that the joint has a good chance of being reliable but there is always a significant risk that a crimped joint will not be created properly and will subsequently fail.
How can you say that your experience with crimping has shown that a joint has a significant chance of failing if you have never seen a crimp fail ? How odd
I am NOT against crimped joints.
Oh, please forgive me, but it sounds like you are against crimping as you believe they have a 'significant' risk of failure.
I simply know from experience of crimped joints that they can fail and therefore like any joint ( other than welded ) they should be accessible for inspection and if necessary repair.
I have seen failed welds on structural steelwork (on machinery) due to stress and vibration. So surely if a crimp needs to be accessed, so should a weld?

I'll take it that you have not seen a correctly crimped joint fail in a domestic setting

John/Bernard, Just to clarify, am i correct in saying that the answer to my question-
Indeed, the answer from me is no different from when I answered the question a few days ago.
Thought so, just checking.
However, as I pointed out then, this proves nothing - and, indeed, as I attempted to demonstrate with some guesstimated figures, the fact that a busy electrician with decades of experience hadn't seen a failed crimp wouldn't prove much, either.

There are countless possible failures of all aspects and components of electrical installations that I know do happen, but the fact that (through lack of experience/exposure) I haven't personally seen most of them obviously doesn't mean anything.

Like Bernard, although I personally have some theoretical concerns about crimped solid conductors (as, apparently, do NASA, MOD and other organisations), I accept that they are used and usually don't fail (just as is the case with screwed terminals), and am not suggesting they should necessarily be 'banned'. However, again like Bernard, the one thing you will never convince me (unless you can find a lot of strong data) is that it makes sense to allow such joints to be inaccessible, whilst that is not permitted for screwed connections. That differential attitude would only make sense if there were very good evidence that the failure rate of crimped (solid conductor) connections is very much less than that of screwed connections, and I really do not believe that such data exist.

Kind Regards, John.

Thanks for confirming the short answer, ta.

I have seen failed welds on structural steelwork (on machinery) due to stress and vibration. So surely if a crimp needs to be accessed, so should a weld?
I would say that a safety-critical weld has to be inspectable, and has to be inspected periodically, even if that involves some dismantling.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back