Help with crimping

I served my time in an industry working to MOD standards and the crimping of solid coductors was prohibited, I have never crimped solids due to this
That doesn't surprise me. I've heard anecdotally of other Standards which prohibit crimping of solid conductors, but do not know anything definitive about them. I suspect there's probably a BS about cable joints - anyone know?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
I think that both joints were made with stranded conductors for the experiment.
That said, I have not been able to pull a solid joint apart by hand yet.

Wow what a difference.

Have made a load of test joints with the new CK ratchet crimper and cant pull one of them apart.

Sponsored Links
Testing crimp joints.

Mechanical testing is only part of the test.

Electrical testing at full current load as determined by the charactoristics of the over current protection device is as important if not more important than the mechanical testing.

Tarnished copper wire and/or a tarnished crimp tube could create a joint with a significant resistance leading to heating of the joint.

The same presumablly applies to conventional screwed joints doesn't it?

The same presumablly applies to conventional screwed joints doesn't it?
Yes (although arguably not necessarily to the same extent) - but a major point is that they are not allowed to be in inaccessible locations, precisely because they can deteriorate.

Kind Regards, John.

Just got the definite comment about crimped joints buried in plaster from an old electrian. Who does keep his knowledge up to date,

" Crimped joints behind plaster, not a problem as long as the plaster is not flammable "

He says he would never use them, " the lazy man's quick fix " .... always prefering to replace the cable or put a box and blank cover to provide an accesible joint where he might use crimps.

I've followed various instructions I've found on the web, I am crimping each side and I am crimping the middle metal bits rather than the plastic edge bits.

According to the AMP crimping tool instruction leaflet, the side of the crimping die that closes further should go over the metal part of the crimp. The other side should go over the plastic bit of the crimp.

Your crimpers may also have an adjustment dial to adjust the depth of the crimp. If this is set to crimp too much it will also have a detrimental effect on the joint.

a major point is that they are not allowed to be in inaccessible locations, precisely because they can deteriorate.
I wonder how many people, with screwed joints in accessible locations, carry out routine maintenance on them?

a major point is that they are not allowed to be in inaccessible locations, precisely because they can deteriorate.
I wonder how many people, with screwed joints in accessible locations, carry out routine maintenance on them?
Well, it can't possibly be less than the number who carry out routine inspection/maintenance on crimped joints in inaccessible locations! - and, anyway, I presume that you are not suggesting that screwed joints should be allowed to be in inaccessible locations for that reason!

Perhaps more important, the fact that screwed joints are (meant to be) in accessible locations means that it's often going to be fairly likely that overheating/burning will be noticed earlier (maybe before a significant fire results) than would be the case with an inaccessible joint (of whatever nature).

Kind Regards, John.

I presume that you are not suggesting that screwed joints should be allowed to be in inaccessible locations for that reason!
I'm suggesting it makes sod-all difference, as nobody checks them anyway.

Perhaps more important, the fact that screwed joints are (meant to be) in accessible locations means that it's often going to be fairly likely that overheating/burning will be noticed earlier (maybe before a significant fire results) than would be the case with an inaccessible joint (of whatever nature).
Perhaps.

Do you have any data on how many incipient fires are noticed because the overheating joint was accessible, and how many are not because it wasn't?

I presume that you are not suggesting that screwed joints should be allowed to be in inaccessible locations for that reason!
I'm suggesting it makes sod-all difference, as nobody checks them anyway.
I'm sure that the vast majority of householders never check them, but should they not be inspected as part of a PIR (or whatever we'll soon be calling them), with recommendations for maintenance (or maintenance done at time) if appropriate? If not, what's the point in the regs insisting that they're accessible, and people here continually reminding posters about that?

Perhaps.
Do you have any data on how many incipient fires are noticed because the overheating joint was accessible, and how many are not because it wasn't?
Needless to say, the answer is no. I actually have zero personal experience of any sort of joint or termination seriously overheating and becoming a potential fire risk (except in a car!). However, I am aware of the fact that it happens, and I don't think one needs data to know that smells (or even smoke) eminanting from, say, a JB is quite likely to be noticed earlier if that JB is in some accessible place than if it's hidden below floorboards, above ceilings or within walls.

Kind Regards, John.

I'm sure that the vast majority of householders never check them, but should they not be inspected as part of a PIR (or whatever we'll soon be calling them), with recommendations for maintenance (or maintenance done at time) if appropriate? If not, what's the point in the regs insisting that they're accessible, and people here continually reminding posters about that?
It is not practicable to inspect every joint and termination in an electrical installation. You just do a sample.

I don't think one needs data to know that smells (or even smoke) eminanting from, say, a JB is quite likely to be noticed earlier if that JB is in some accessible place than if it's hidden below floorboards, above ceilings or within walls.
Beneath floorboards is generally regarded as accessible provided an appropriate section of the floor can be easily lifted.

Above a ceiling in an unboarded loft is accessible.

Beneath floorboards is generally regarded as accessible provided an appropriate section of the floor can be easily lifted.

Really?
Generally regarded by whom? Even in the centre of a 4m square room covered with carpet?

At what stage does the lifting of floorboards change from being easy to being a PITA?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back