Help with Drayton Wiser installation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I need some help with replacing an old Danfoss TP5 wired thermostat with the "Drayton Wiser multi-zone kit 1".

Current setup:
Danfoss TP5 wired thermostat with two wires connected to it. Please see photos.

Boiler: Worcester condensing Boiler: Greenstar 24i JUNIOR combi MK 4

I spoke with Wiser tech support and they suggested that the back plate supplied with Wiser needs to be installed by removing the old thermostat. But they aren't able to give wiring advise over the phone.

The old thermostat has two cables connected to it:
A red cable which goes into "N/O"
A black cable which goes into "COM"

The new Wiser heat hub has got Following slots:
N, L, 1, 2, 3, 4. It also has got OT1 and OT2

Please see pictures attached.

I've also attached the user manuals for the old Danfoss and the Wiser multi zone kit 1

I would be very thankful if someone can advise how to swap from Danfoss to Wiser.
I'm unclear about the wiring. Please can someone help?

Many thanks,
Xen P

Attachments

• Danfoss TP5 Thermostat.pdf
    946.6 KB · Views: 366
  • Danfoss-front-panel.png
    Danfoss-front-panel.png
    288.5 KB · Views: 469
  • danfoss-rear.JPG
    danfoss-rear.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 411
  • Danfoss-wiring-user-manual.png
    Danfoss-wiring-user-manual.png
    195.9 KB · Views: 391
  • Wiser Heat hub.JPG
    Wiser Heat hub.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 453
  • wiser_instructions_issg_g.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 329
Sponsored Links
Hi Xen P,

This might have been better asked in plumbing and heating forum or the electrical forum. Having read the first couple of pages of both thermostats, your Danfoss is battery powered and your wires are just switching wires. Your Drayton Wiser is 230vac powered with switching wires needed. So you need a power source for the Drayton (could be piggybacked from boiler or even fused spur) and the switched wires. Although opening up that boiler require an safety checks afterwards by a competent engineer.

Last edited:
The existing Danfoss terminals are...

aa.JPG

and the Wiser terminals are...

wiser.JPG

So the wires in...

The Danfoss terminal COM (1) go to the Wiser One Channel Version terminal COM (1)

The Danfoss terminal ON (3) go to the Wiser One Channel Version terminal ON (3)

Then as @The Novice says you now also need to provide a 230V supply to (N) and (L) to provide the Wiser with power. This supply should come from the same 3A fused connection unit (FCU) as the boiler.

FCU.JPG

You can access this without opening up the boiler casing. After isolating the power to the FCU connect the new supply to the Wiser to the N and L terminals marked 'LOAD' along with the wires that are already there.

The Wiser doesn't need an earth connection, but a parking terminal for the earth wire is provided in the lower left of the backplate to keep it safely out of the way.

If you wire it up as I describe above do not make the link shown as a dashed line between Wiser terminals (L) and (1)

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Also, make sure you're in the 230v terminals in the boiler & not volt free

Sponsored Links
Also, make sure you're in the 230v terminals in the boiler & not volt free

It doesn't matter, if Xen P wires it as I suggested. The wiser terminals 1 & 3 are voltage free, exactly the same as the existing thermostat terminals 1 & 3 are voltage free, so it doesn't actually matter if the boiler is wired for 24v or 230V. The important thing is; that just in case it is 24v...
If you wire it up as I describe above do not make the link shown as a dashed line between Wiser terminals (L) and (1)

That way the 24v and 230V are kept separate.;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back