help with electric wires.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi im removing my old storage heaters and want to know what i do with the electric wires when i have it off the wall. i have 2 of them one in the hall and one in the front room. the hall has one main switch for it that was fused. the one in the front room has 2 one with a fuse in it the other just a switch. what do i need to do to make thees safe as we are gettin new heaters and dont need these sockets.

Sponsored Links
Get an electrican to disconnect the wiring at the Fuse Box and you can safely undertake the rest.

Kind Regards,

NA

we cant disconect from the fuse box its in our managment agrement for the flat we live in. we own our flat but the switches need to stay where they are.

we cant disconect from the fuse box its in our managment agrement for the flat we live in. we own our flat but the switches need to stay where they are.
If the 'switches' are fused connection units (FCU) and a cable runs from the unit to the storage heater then turn the power off at the fusebox remove the cable (which runs to the heater) from the the load side of the FCU.
If you feel the need you can also remove the FCU fuse.
If it is just a switch (one assumes double pole) then do the same but obviously there is no fuse involved.

Sponsored Links
Get an electrican in to disconnect the wiring from the switches.

I assume your managment agreement does not allow you to do DIY electrics.

Kind Regards,

KA

Make sure the switch on your fusebox is OFF! The circuit will only be LIVE during the off peak times. Remove the cover plates and disconnect the outgoing cable to your heaters and refit the cover plates.

ok so the power is off at the main fuse box when i remove the plug and the wire conecting it what do i need to make that safe

ok so the power is off at the main fuse box when i remove the plug and the wire conecting it what do i need to make that safe
I'm sorry but I do think you should stop what you are doing - you are mixing electrical components up and it is not clear what you are actually describing.
Post a picture of the two 'switches' that you are referring to - that will give us a better idea how to advise you.

what i need to know is when i have taking them off the wall and removed the ones on there now what do i do with the wire that comes out the wall that goes back to the fuse box. someone said i should use a blanking plate but after looking at them i dont think that is right. i have also been told an isolater switch plate??

Two of those are fused connection units (FCU) follow the instructions I gave you earlier regarding FCU's.
The third is a standard 20A switch - same instruction apply.
With the power of you should be able to tell the difference between the flexible cable and the fixed wire cable inside the FCU/Switch and remove the flexible cable only - there will be no need for you to touch the fixed cable.
Replace the FCU/Switch when you have finished - that will be safe enough though you can also remove the FCU fuses if you wish.

What sort of heaters are you replacing the storage heaters with?, just curious

were not sure yet as these dont work anymore but were thinking slim pannels but we wont be putting them were these are.

The circuit will only be LIVE during the off peak times. Remove the cover plates and disconnect the outgoing cable to your heaters and refit the cover plates.[/quote]

How do you know? One heater has two supplies, as advised get an electrician before you kill yourself.

NA

knowall - FGS learn how to quote posts properly - it really isn't hard.

When you look at the rubbish you post, do you never see anything wrong? Do you never wonder why? Do you never try to do anything to fix things?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back