Help with garden wall bond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to build a retaining wall for our garden. We have a slope (back to front) of 447mm and I was planning on using hollow concrete blocks (440mm x 215mm x 140mm) so I can use rebar to tie them into the concrete foundation. I'm a wall virgin but I'm keen!

My first question is in terms of the design. There are a number of corners (see image) and I was wondering whether it is best to account for the length of the blocks at this stage to avoid having to make lots of cuts etc? There is scope for the design to change to accommodate a full number of blocks etc rather than having to cut.

My second question is to do with the bond. Is there a standard bond for this size/type of block? I can see it might be tricky at the corners.

I'm not sure why I went for those blocks it just seemed like it might be right. I only have three course planned so maybe another block type would be suitable too?

Any help/ pointers would be great.

Cheers,

Ed
upload_2021-6-7_20-0-19.png

Sponsored Links
Set out to work blockwork without cuts if you can. Lay them half bond.

Thanks Stuart. I want to lay the blocks like this so I guess I have to cut part of a block to get them to half bond?
upload_2021-6-7_20-18-44.png

Sorry, misread the post as 215mm blocks. Lay them so the holes line up.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, misread the post as 215mm blocks. Lay them so the holes line up.
But I will still be left with an awkward length wont I? the blocks are 440mm long and 140mm wide. Will I not have to cut a smaller block to make it into half bond?

Cheers,

Ed

Put a cut in so it works bond. Doesn't have to be half bond as long as the holes work out for the rebar.

Last edited:
At the corners, I'd suggest you cut 75mm off the full block to get the bond rather than put a 75mm cut in next to the 140mm end block.

Start at the most visible section and set the wall out dry, or measure the wall ends for the corners so that it works blocks. The 'T' junctions of the wall should be where you can bond over the centre of a block, so as to give even cuts either side of the bonded block, otherwise just use some tie wires to join it.

At the corners, I'd suggest you cut 75mm off the full block to get the bond rather than put a 75mm cut in next to the 140mm end block.

Start at the most visible section and set the wall out dry, or measure the wall ends for the corners so that it works blocks. The 'T' junctions of the wall should be where you can bond over the centre of a block, so as to give even cuts either side of the bonded block, otherwise just use some tie wires to join it.

Hi, thanks very much for the info. Is it something like this you were meaning? It makes sense to me now, by cutting the pieces it gets it to half bond.

Is that what you meant?

Cheers

Ed
upload_2021-6-8_14-34-56.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back