Help with possible bypassed meter - EK!

Breezer's right, Softy old son. Deep breaths now, calm down...

You're quite right; just because you have a minority opinion it doesn't make it wrong, but I wonder why you are so exercised at the thought of other people's time being wasted?

Like you, I don't advertise any more and most of my work is for known clients or by referral, so I rarely get asked to compete for work (and often decline the invitation). But when I started out on my own I had to advertise and I had to compete... (and I also agree with your assessment of the competition) ... which meant I spent unpaid hours doing what amounted to marketing my business. Make an appointment, turn up on time, be professional, give a price... hope to get the job.

Not a waste of time, an investment of time, which has paid off.

If you are a householder and you need a tradesman, any trade, then without the recommendations of others you are subject to a certain amount of pot luck. As I said, just because you hold the minority view doesn't make you absolutely wrong, but the majority advice would still be to seek several quotes.

Please have a pleasant day and watch that blood pressure. ;)

Sponsored Links
dingbat said:
Breezer's right, Softy old son.
Er, I know it's cold outside, but not enough for hell to have frozen over.

Deep breaths now, calm down...
You've misread my state of mind, but that's not important.

You're quite right; just because you have a minority opinion it doesn't make it wrong, but I wonder why you are so exercised at the thought of other people's time being wasted?
What a most a excellent question! :D

In all honesty I'm not sure of the answer. I doubt that it's a wholly egalitarian motive, but I suppose I'd like to feel that this country is pulling together, and is more than just a bunch of individuals each out to make an easy/fast buck. The less money we can pay each other for unproductive time, the better, because each time a sum of money changes hands it loses value, either directly, as tax, or indirectly, through administration (bank charges etc.).

But when I started out on my own I had to advertise and I had to compete... (and I also agree with your assessment of the competition) ... which meant I spent unpaid hours doing what amounted to marketing my business. Make an appointment, turn up on time, be professional, give a price... hope to get the job.

Not a waste of time, an investment of time, which has paid off.
In your case, I believe it. However, for established businesses this isn't the case.

If you are a householder and you need a tradesman, any trade, then without the recommendations of others you are subject to a certain amount of pot luck.
Absolutely. My point precisely. Always get a recommendation.

As I said, just because you hold the minority view doesn't make you absolutely wrong, but the majority advice would still be to seek several quotes.
And it's because that advice is so widespread and entrenched that I spoke up.

Please have a pleasant day and watch that blood pressure. ;)
You too dingbat.

Softus said:
Dangle_kt said:
Getting three quotes is just good business practise.
This customer isn't a business, so your statement is indescribably nonsensical.

I am not a business - you are correct. However that is where the validity of your statement ends.

my statement is neither "lacking intelligible meaning", nor is it "Foolish; absurd" - so perhaps you should check a dictionary before throwing in a number of large words...

I will go on to prove my point.

A large number of other forum members understood my point - there by proving my statement was in fact intelligible.

My point was neither foolish or absurd, I think you will find that my statement was in fact a simile of sorts.

And even reading between the lines; as it were, there is nothing stopping someone managing their private life by tried and tested business methods.

So in fact I find your comment a little irelivant. Almost as if you are looking for something to pick on...

Back on topic - Thanks for all the helpful replies, I will try and get a picture up - however my HD died yesterday and I am working on a very old laptop in the mean time. I'm not even sure if it is compatible with my camera! :LOL:

Dangle_kt said:
I will go on to prove my point.
Oh this should be good. :D

A large number of other forum members understood my point - there by proving my statement was in fact intelligible.
I agree that it was intelligible - the nonsense part was your premise that getting quotes is good business practice, and the conclusion that therefore home owners should do it. Oh, I take it back - the nonsense was describable after all. ;)

My point was neither foolish or absurd, I think you will find that my statement was in fact a simile of sorts.
Is that like a smilie? :D

And even reading between the lines; as it were, there is nothing stopping someone managing their private life by tried and tested business methods.
Oh yes, like we all do that.

Hmm [thinks], I really fancy that woman over there. I think we can work together synergetically and create a long-standing relationship that suits us both. I shall go and create a new contact record in Goldmine, then choose the most suitable sales person to discuss her needs and arrange for an appointment to see how I can help.

:rolleyes:

So in fact I find your comment a little irelivant.
That was predictable. One day, the reality of my words might sink in for you, but in the meantime my expectation was that you won't care that you're wasting people's time.

Sponsored Links
Why hi-jack a post for another session of point scoring and airing personality conflicts.

Why not move these to general discusion and keep the conversation one that helps and interest the original request for help.

bernardgreen said:
Why hi-jack a post for another session of point scoring and airing personality conflicts.
How is it a hi-jack when I've been responding to points being made by the person who created the topic? :confused:

And in what way is my reasoned explanation [of my belief that multiple quoting wastes time] an issue of personality?

Why not move these to general discusion and keep the conversation one that helps and interest the original request for help.
The original request was answered, and the OP thanked those who contributed. The discussion then moved on to a subject that is directly related, and it belongs in Electrics UK.

not specifically related to electrics though softus..

getting multiple quotes applies to any trade.. should be in trade talk..

You're addressing the wrong person - I didn't raise the subject of getting quotes, let alone the question of getting three (or multiple) quotes.

If you want to persuade the OP to move the topic to TT, then please, by all means, go ahead.

I never said you raised any questions...

I was refering to your last sentance..

The discussion then moved on to a subject that is directly related, and it belongs in Electrics UK.

the subject that it moved onto is obtaining multiple quotes and the views of people regarding this practice..

ColJack said:
I never said you raised any questions...

I was refering to your last sentance..

The discussion then moved on to a subject that is directly related, and it belongs in Electrics UK.

the subject that it moved onto is obtaining multiple quotes and the views of people regarding this practice..
Quite so, because...

In his opening post said:
Can anyone give me a rough indication of costs involved?
Later on said:
Call in at least three sparks and get their opinions. (Sounds like a rewire to me.)
So I said:
Erm, why three? Unless you pay them all then you'll be wasting the time of at least two of them. :confused:
Everything I wrote after that continued on that theme, so, as I've already said, if anyone wants the discussion to be moved elsewhere, then ask the OP to post his opinions elsewhere.

However, I think we've lost him...

brazil2.jpg

Probably a bit late for the OP, but, just in case:-
I came across something similar in Crewe a few years ago. Not doing electrical work, but a rodent problem. Turned off at CU only to find lights were still working. A very old lady showed me the white porcelain switches which looked like fuses. These seemed to be original to the house and were isolators to the circuits - to isolate you pulled out the circular centre section. I came to the conclusion that the house as built (1900-ish) had had a limited electrical supply. Later someone had put in a CU/fusebox for sockets only, but when this was upgraded the original circuitry had been left in place and hidden from view.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back