Help with putting up partition on ground floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Below you can see pics of our ground floor dining area, with an entry to the house on the right but out of frame of the first pic. As you walk in, on your right is the dining area and on your left, from where the first pic is taken, the kitchen area. Before we bought the house, there were (loadbearing) walls on either side of this hallway with a door to both the dining room and the kitchen. Previous owners had it all knocked down but kept the old kitchen and it was just horrible, at least in our eyes. We've since had the kitchen re-done but the layout on this side of the (old) hallway has remained pretty much as was. It's not to our taste because the space is just too open, with no privacy from callers at the front door. So we would like to reinstate a partition between the hallway and the dining room, with an opening but no door. The partition would start on the right (see 3rd pic) and run to the left to within a door's width of that wall. The electrics (ligths, sockets and switches) and heating would not be an issue as there was a wall here previously.

I'm a reasonably competent DIYer. I haven't built a stud partition or plastered a wall before but have replaced plasterboard in concealed areas. I'd be grateful for answers to the following for now:

1. any obvious pitfalls to this plan?
  2. How to fix the head member. Is that a lintel or RSJ of some sort as presumably there would have been a loadbearing brick/block wall here?
  3. Can the sill member be fixed directly to the Quickstep vinyl flooring or does a section of the flooring need to be removed first?
Thanks.

full

full

full

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back