help with quality of work on roof part 2- bodges?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my previous thread i have been concerned over the quality of the cuts of the spars and the joining to the ridge beam, now i have spotted a couple of things on the outside;

1. what appears to be a woodenboard under the slates at gutter level, this was not their before the re roof as far as i can tell from pics.

2. A slate appears to be far to small and i think their is plaster staining (appears new) on the interior (undecorated) wall in this location from the recent driving rain.

Would anybody be kind enough to offer any opinions, as i am still to pay and would like the job done correctly/rectified before parting with my money.
I have the roofer coming out tomorrow to meet me and so any advice in how i should proceed would also be welcome!

many thanks

samsam

the gutterline pics may need clicking to view larger image but appears to be edge of chip board visible?

Sponsored Links
The boards look like scaffolding boards on their sides.

There should be fascia board and soffit behind the scaffolding boards.

As for the roof work. Im no expert but does look to good below the chimney.

What work were the roofers contracted to do?

You can see the fascia and guttering behind the toe-board (correctly placed). There is no soffit.
The roof appears to be humping at the dividing wall, hence kicking up the slates.
The flashing and pointing is below standard. The mortar stains req removing and old lead appears to have been re-used. Did you agree to the use of damaged slates?
Not sure what i'm looking at at eaves - get up on the scaff and take more pics and pics of the whole elevation.
While the scaff is up clean and fix the gutter if req'd. and paint the fascia.

How come the stonework has been pointed-up before cleaning it?

The chimney stack is shared - did your neighbour agree to this work?
the stack req's careful attention.
The gutter joint also req's careful attention: ie. a lead fall to plastic.

looks like he has wedged some wood unter the eaves course as they were all dropping down away from the course above. I suspect this is because the new roofing battens are thicker than the old ones. the proper way to have sorted this would to have replaced the fascia or at least nailed a batten to the top of the fascia, this should have been under the membrane not above it. While we are on the subject of the membrane is there an eaves tray underneath it as the membrane is not UV resistant and will just rot away where it sticks out below the slates.
It is quite common to have a small hump around a chimney on old roofs like that it comes from the common rafters sagging more than the trimmers around the chimney. the reason the roof looks so bad around there is he has used slate and a halfs in the wrong place and so they haven't followed the contour of the roof so well. All in all looks generally rough to me. my guess is he started laying from the wrong end of the roof

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply's,

gasgas249uk, the quote received was written as;

"strip and reslate to property.
Remove slate and all front spars and timbers, all new spars to be reset from ridge tree to centre purlin. refelt and batton front,back and replace all slate, any broken slate will be changed for new or reclaimed".

mnb,
didnt realise the morter stains are a problem, what happens with them or is it aesthetic?

on the eaves you really can't tell unless clicking the pic to enlarge but under the lowest slate appears to be a piece of wood (nothing to do with the scaffold kick boards) holding up the slates. see chappers post i think he's spotted it!

chappers,
cheers for the follow up, I am not sure if their is an eaves tray, i will try to find out and post.

can i ask you what you think i need to request him to do to rectify, sister the spars up or use shims, reslate the area under chimney, remove the wood and sort out?
I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what should be done, i dont want to get picky but expect the job to a reasonable standard and last some time. I cant afford to shell out again in 3 years time.

many thanks all

samsam

I would get him to at least pack out the rafters at the ridge if he only replaced them as far as the purlins then there really is no excuse for not getting a better fit at the ridge.

Is the timber under the slates all along the roof or just in that isolated place.
The mortar stains are asthetic but just another sign of sloppy workmanship.
The work below the chimney is pretty shocking and with those gaps a decent bit of wind will rip them off and I,m not surprised driving rain is getting in.
The problem is he should probably have started from the ajoining neigbours end but my suspicion is he started from the other end and has then had to piece bits in to get it all to fit a sure fire way of not creating a weather tight finish.

I would get him to at least pack out the rafters at the ridge if he only replaced them as far as the purlins then there really is no excuse for not getting a better fit at the ridge.

Is the timber under the slates all along the roof or just in that isolated place.
The mortar stains are asthetic but just another sign of sloppy workmanship.
The work below the chimney is pretty shocking and with those gaps a decent bit of wind will rip them off and I,m not surprised driving rain is getting in.
The problem is he should probably have started from the ajoining neigbours end but my suspicion is he started from the other end and has then had to piece bits in to get it all to fit a sure fire way of not creating a weather tight finish.

ok, so i ask him to pack the rafters, and re do the section below chimney?

I think from what i can see its just the one piece of wood, can you believe this guy was recomended by two people!!!! i wonder if they have acually been in their lofts!

thanks again,

samsam

Not sure why he's wedged that in there then but judging by the rest of the work it could be for any reason.
How to sort the bodge under the chimney is another problem and not quite sure how to go about that . It's a bit of a bodge and will look a bit strange but if he must use tile and a halfs somewhere , better to use them where the roof is a bit flatter , more in the centre of the roof

I'massuming your roof is the one on the right, they have fit your new rafters lower than your neighbours, you can see the dip from the party wall or adjoining in line with the stack. They have then realised the slates dont match up at the bottom so they used a batten on edge or whatever they could find, and built it up.

Overall mate its a ****-poor job, and should be taken off and re-done. Hope you havent paid them anything?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back