1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Re Slate - Issues

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by jcj14, 7 Dec 2020.

1. jcj14

jcj14

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi - this is my first post here and I was hoping someone could advise.

I have recently moved into a 3 bed semi detached dating from the 1930's, the house is slated in good quality Welsh slates but had no 'breathable' membrane.

We have just had the slates removed, a membrane fitted (Phttps://www.permavent.co.uk/products/permavent-max-all-zones/), new battens and slates reattached.

Looking at the work that has been done it appears that the slates no longer sit as flush to each other as they used to and the bonding pattern is no longer straight - should this be expected given the age of the roof? I asked the roofer to explain why this was the case and he advised its because he has had to fall in line with next door. Next door have a perfectly aligned bond pattern.

Furthermore, I have checked inside the loft and condensation now appears to be forming on the underside of the felt (see pictures) - I assume this is down to lack of ventilation in the loft space.

Comments on the quality of work and ventilation requirements would be gratefully appreciated, I have building regs coming tomorrow to take a look also.

Best regards
    Jack

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Barthy

Barthy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Perps aren't the cleverest tbh, and neither is the pugwork it looks rustic
    But I'd be more concerned with the lack of grading and kickers all over the place.
    Is the insulation touching the felt at the eaves I can't make it out
    I don't know the bloke or what he was up against price wise but there's slates there I would have not put on regarding corners or used elsewhere as cuts.
    I know it's ugly but with a stripper you have to accept there's going to be a section of the roof with different/best matched slates due to breakages.

4. jcj14

jcj14

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your reply, I think it looks very rough and the grading is none existent.
    Forgive me but what are kickers?

Insulation isn't touching the felt but I intend to pull it further away from the eaves to see if this helps.

5. Barthy

Barthy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Kicking slates...on one picture there is a few paving slabs bang in the middle of the roof.
    It does look rough mate to be honest without slagging anyone off without knowing what the job/price was like but it's no excuse for bad workmanship as he agreed to the costing I suppose.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. datarebal

datarebal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As above the slate could have been laid in a much more tidy fashion with a little more care.
    front apron on the velux works out a little short.
    Building control will only pick up on lack of insulation

8. catlad

catlad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    He must still be an apprentice with that effort. You can buy lap vents and fit them yourself.

9. frutbunn

frutbunn

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Only if its a vaulted ceiling if the local authority are interpreting the regs correctly.

10. datarebal

datarebal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Maybe that's the case in your area. Everywhere we re roof other than historic buildings it is a strict requirement to upgrade insulation to the agreed level . Vaulted or otherwise.

Last edited: 9 Dec 2020
    • Like Like x 1