Help with quote?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya lads

I have an unusual request. Ive been asked to give a quote to a local garage to get some work done but Im a bit unsure what to quote. Ive done some work for family and friends doing up bathrooms and want to try this stuff of a more regular because I lost my job in Phones4u recently. But this job is an oppurtunity to build a good reputation.

The job is in a busy repair garage in Birmingham. It involved:-

- Removing 3 old high level pull chain toilets and replacing with 3 low level toilets. Each has its own brick cubicle.

- removing all old Low carbon steel pipe and fitting copper

- painting all 3 cubicles

- fitting a kitchen sink and base unit in utility area, and tiling around it, about 3sq meters

- fitting a wash hand basin in another utility area

- fitting a electric undersink water heater (replacing old one)

- painting floor in all these areas

- replacing old rad with new rad

- fitting a 4th toilet in another outhouse

The guy will provide all materials so he just wants labour costs.

What would be the rough price for labour for this that an average plumber would charge?

Sponsored Links
First of Do you have public liability insurance more specifically public liability that covers you for workng in commercial premises?
If you don't I wouldn't even entertain the idea until you do.

Do you want to know how much it is so you can then half the price or more seeing as your only a diyer so your customer is not paying full price for an amateur job ? ;)

Yes I do have public liability insurance and it does cover me for commercial properties.

I have installed a few bathrooms now and garage owner liked my work as I had installed a bathroom for a friend of his, that is why he asked me if I could take this job on.

All Im after is a bit of guidance on price as I have never carried out a job like this.

Sponsored Links
Taking a sensible view point. Work out how much you need to earn in the year, don't forget to include your outgoings, divide by 52 then 40. there's your hourly rate, assuming you're busy for a 40 hour week of course.

Cover for not being busy all the time, triple your hourly rate and that'll give you some flexibility and a starting point.

Figure out how long it's going to take you to do the work and multiply it up.

If your quality of work meets the customers expectations then it's a good deal. If not then they'll feel ripped off and you won't get recommendations. :)

Ive given a quote of £1'000 labour, as I estimate it will take me roughly 5 days to get it all done, working 9-6.

He turned this down, saying someone else quoted him £1'000 for labour AND materials (4 toilets, 1 sink, 1 basin, 1 sink base unit, basin taps, sink taps, ariston 10 litre water heater, 20 meters copper pipe, all fittings, radiator, dulux anti mould paint, 1 tub floor paint. I worked out the materials and they alone came to about £850! So this other guy is charging £150 labour for a weeks work?

Call his bluff and @ the same time ask him what HIS rate is for labour at his garage . Walk away from this one - they`ll be others ;)

Ive given a quote of £1'000 labour, as I estimate it will take me roughly 5 days to get it all done, working 9-6.

He turned this down, saying someone else quoted him £1'000 for labour AND materials (4 toilets, 1 sink, 1 basin, 1 sink base unit, basin taps, sink taps, ariston 10 litre water heater, 20 meters copper pipe, all fittings, radiator, dulux anti mould paint, 1 tub floor paint. I worked out the materials and they alone came to about £850! So this other guy is charging £150 labour for a weeks work?

Welcome to the world of self employment. Many guys have started up on the back of friends saying they do good painting/decorating/kitchen fitting/plumbing/electrics etc. (You seem to be covering the lot!). And crashed.

In particular, I believe that ALL unvented water heater installers now require a ticket. I could be wrong, and if I am someone else will be along to have a go at me ;) Do you have the tools and skills to correctly test the electrics - remember you are on commercial premises, and your insurance may not be valid if you are not qualified.

As for the quote, a grand seems cheap for the whole job P&L, but he may be lying. A guy doing that work on regular basis would not take anything like a week though

As essentially a DIYer, you won't be competitive at £200 a day.

You should be looking for at least twice that amount, if not three times. If he says he can get it done cheaper then let him do it. When you realise that you have been there for three weeks and still not finished, that's when the resentment kicks in and you will end up making a loss. £1000 labour is a bargain so walk away mate.

The guy is lying plain and simple. He wants a cheap job and doesn't value your work, only the fact you may be desperate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back