comment on a quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My elderly father wants to replace some very old radiators. Over the last couple of years he's had 3 that rusted and started to leak, causing some (minor) damage and lots of stress (all 3 now replaced).

So he has decided to replace the remaining ones before they too cause problems. Here's the quote (Home Counties area):

Supply and fit –

6 x steel panelled radiators with covers
6 x Drayton thermostatic radiator valves
6 x return valves
Drain system, remove radiators and alter pipe work to suit new radiator sizes
Fill and vent system

Our price to undertake the above would be £1,088.00 + VAT = £1,305.60

Supply and fit Honeywell CM907 programmable room stat to increase comfort levels and reduce running costs £120.00 + VAT = £144.00

In his position I'd certainly want to have specified the size (and make?) of the new rads, but does the pricing look about right?

Sponsored Links
You can get the rad sizes yourself, and then work out the prices from people like screwfix. 2 men should should be able to do all 6 rads in a day, so you can do a quick calculation of labour costs.
Are there TRVs on the 3 rads that have just been replaced.

I would never quote a job like that over the phone and likewise, would not be able to approve/comment on such a quote via this media.

Sponsored Links
You can get the rad sizes yourself, and then work out the prices from people like screwfix. 2 men should should be able to do all 6 rads in a day, so you can do a quick calculation of labour costs.

If three rads have already rusted through, what state is the rest of the system in and what are the "other" site conditions? It needs to be viewed before issuing a price!

You make a very good point Dilalio. My gut feeling is they're just doing a bog standard replacement job. There's no mention of leaving a TRV off of the room that's going to have the programmable stat in it, nor of adding inhibitor in the system when they refill it. As you suggest, the possibility of needing the system cleaned and flushed hasn't been mentioned either.

Everything may well be kosher, but it needs questioning.

And, no offense OP, but there could be several tonnes of 'belongings' to shift around!

Have you tried Moneysupermarket.com?
No. Why?

So what's a typical rate for 2 men for a day?

I would never quote a job like that over the phone and likewise, would not be able to approve/comment on such a quote via this media.
It's a written quote. No phone involved. But appreciate hearing you wouldn't comment here.

If three rads have already rusted through, what state is the rest of the system in and what are the "other" site conditions? It needs to be viewed before issuing a price!
The guy spent an hour at the house before sending in the quote.

Any plumbers out there willing to comment on the price?

edit: he's seen the property so knows what needs moving around (if anything - don't think there is).

Thanks for the tip about inhibiter.

No. Why?

So what's a typical rate for 2 men for a day?

It's a written quote. No phone involved. But appreciate hearing you wouldn't comment here.

The guy spent an hour at the house before sending in the quote.

Any plumbers out there willing to comment on the price?

You misinterpreted my post!

They have seen the job, we haven't!

Have you got any other quotes to compare it against. We can give you pointers, and maybe try and spot the obvious mistakes, but that's all. One plumber may want a higher day rate, but do the materials at cost plus 10%, whilst others may juggle the figure differently.

There's no mention of the type or make of radiators he's supplying, and the quotes very basic, and leaves a lot of room for him to manoeuvre.

Was he a recommendation, or just out of the local rag, and just what was he doing there for an hour; trying to create a good impression; it should have been 20 minutes top, and that's being sluggish.

There are so many ways to cut this cloth! Personally, I only take on a job if I am encouraged to do it as I would in my own home and my prices reflect that. I am not interested in "bodge it - leggit - and scarper" and, thankfully, I don't have to be!

In his position I'd certainly want to have specified the size (and make?) of the new rads

In his position I'd be wanting to investigate what has caused radiators to start rusting through, not just replacing them and hoping that all is going to be fine. Could be a system issue causing premature corrosion, which no amount of inhibitor will fix.

As for price, hard to say without seeing it but that doesn't look too bad

Radiators can easily last 30 years.

If some have rusted through that indicates oxygen entering the system. Usually pumping over in an open vented system.

Drayton make two main types of TRV.

The lovely TRV4 at nearly £20 to buy and the cheap wax stat one at about £9.

Now a customer will see "Drayton" and think they are good ones!

The plumber will see "Drayton" and know they will be the "cheap Drayton".

I would say only cowboys will put "Drayton valves" in a quote without specifying which ones!

Bit like offering a "Brand new Ford car for £19,000".

But is it a top of the range? Or just a Ka?

Last edited:
Who would call lock shields "return valves".
Or am I out date?

Tony and others are right, the quote is very short on detail, unless he enclosed literature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back