comment on a quote

Bit of an update. I've persuaded him to get another quote to compare so that will happen in a few days. Meanwhile the first guy has clarified a bit:

Due to the age of the boiler we would just do a combustion analysis check
Seals and parts may be needed if we service
Rad sizes –
1 x 1200x600 k1 single convector
2 x 1000x600 k1
1 x 1100x600 p+ double convector
1 x 400x700 H p+
1 x 800x500 H p+
Manufactured by Eco Radiators made to British Standard
3 – 4 men hopefully 1 x day
Inhibitor included

I'm not sure what the K1, P+, H p+ mean but suspect K1 are single and Pp+ are double panels? Surprised they are not all convectors though. I though most radiators had convector wings these days?

As some of you asked/commented, the system is at least 25 years old (probobly 30 or more) which may explain the leaks. But given his age my father is unwilling to replace either the boiler (which works fine if presumably less ineficiently than a modern one) or the system due to the disruption and cost for the sake of the few years he's likely to stay there.

Sponsored Links
Bit of an update. I've persuaded him to get another quote to compare so that will happen in a few days. Meanwhile the first guy has clarified a bit:

Due to the age of the boiler we would just do a combustion analysis check
Seals and parts may be needed if we service
Rad sizes –
1 x 1200x600 k1 single convector
2 x 1000x600 k1
1 x 1100x600 p+ double convector
1 x 400x700 H p+
1 x 800x500 H p+
Manufactured by Eco Radiators made to British Standard
3 – 4 men hopefully 1 x day
Inhibitor included

I'm not sure what the K1, P+, H p+ mean but suspect K1 are single and Pp+ are double panels? Surprised they are not all convectors though. I though most radiators had convector wings these days?

As some of you asked/commented, the system is at least 25 years old (probobly 30 or more) which may explain the leaks. But given his age my father is unwilling to replace either the boiler (which works fine if presumably less ineficiently than a modern one) or the system due to the disruption and cost for the sake of the few years he's likely to stay there.

The problem is... when you work on ANY part of a system, especially an old one, it can have a knock-on effect and parts that were previously "just coping" go on to fail, as stresses and strains are transferred elsewhere! Unless you price a job for the "worst case scenario" (and risk losing the work, in a competitive market) it's a hope for the best pitch and then fire-fighting from that point onwards!

The problem is... when you work on ANY part of a system, especially an old one, it can have a knock-on effect and parts that were previously "just coping" go on to fail, as stresses and strains are transferred elsewhere! Unless you price a job for the "worst case scenario" (and risk losing the work, in a competitive market) it's a hope for the best pitch and then fire-fighting from that point onwards!
so would he do better to leave well alone and hope no more rads fail? He panics when there's a leak, plus the last one only got spotted when it came through to the floor below and caused damage. And stress. And that rad has to be replaced. At present it's just isolated.

If he can afford it, change it.
Peace of mind and living in comfort, in old age is the young man's version of a new motor! :)

Sponsored Links
This link will give you an explanation of the different rad designations. https://www.stelrad.com/support-information/faqs/

Looking at the different height rads, I suspect they are trying to slot the new ones into the existing spaces, so saving any re-piping, but having all rads the same height would look neater.

I could be cynical, but I read 3-4men as meaning, 3 men will turn up, but we'll charge you for 4 just in case. If you look at screwfix prices, then they should be able to sources all materials for about £350, so £740 for wages.

2 men should be able to fit 6 rads in one day, even with a bit of pipework being needed, so have you got some competitive quotes yet.

You also haven't mentioned whether they're removing a TRV to do the programmer, which is a sensible option to fit. And take the opportunity to fit radiator foil behind the rads as they go. Use premixed wallpaper paste though

What a pointless thread this is..:rolleyes:
If it's any conciliation there wouldn't be much change out of £2500.

Overheads are cheaper down here as well. I should have thought about regional differences, so my fault there, but the OP doesn't show where he is.

I reckon a good plumber could do that job in a 12 hour day and before I get pounced on I have done that type of job in a day,mind you I was a lot younger then.but I would double dose inhibitor.Bob

Exactly, 6 rads should easily be manageable by 2 guys, and 3-4 guys is overkill, even if the end price works out as valid.

Not much point 'double dosing' as the first port of call would be to diagnose and rectify the poor system design which is the root cause of problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back