Help with scratches on brand new hob!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

So we have had a new kitchen fitted not too long back and someone obviously stained the hob and tried removing it with some sort of pad that has scratched it.

Doesn't look to bad in day light but when the lights are on it it looks terrible and stands out like a sore thumb.

As usual no one will own up to what they used! So ... any suggestions on here?

Picture should show up somewhere on here I hope!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
are the scratches deep? you may be able to polish it out with car finishing super fine grade sanding paper from a car accessory shop if someone's used wire wool but try testing on a piece of scrap metal if you go that route. you could easily, obviously make it look even worse

are the scratches deep? you may be able to polish it out with car finishing super fine grade sanding paper from a car accessory shop if someone's used wire wool but try testing on a piece of scrap metal if you go that route. you could easily, obviously make it look even worse

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

They look as if they are deep but it's probably because they stand out so much. If I run a nail over then I can't tell any difference to anywhere else.

I've seen this sanding paper mentioned elsewhere when searching but was a bit scared, thinking sanding paper would basically do what is already done, is that not the case?

Also most posts I've seen mention about going with the grain. What does this mean? I can't see any grain. You should be able to see the current finish in the picture if that's any help.

Thanks

Hi

Also about the sanding paper and it being fine. Is there any chance you could link to an example as I wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sanding & polishing may well remove the scratches but from your pic it appears there is an underlying black mark which probably won't. I would threaten legal action if they do not meet their responsibilities.

Its a brushed stainless steel fininish, and you can see the brushing going across the width of the hob. Very fine wet and dry paper would be the abrasive of choice but there's a high chance of making it worse.
If you have a Dremel type drill with a polishing mop, then some jewellers rouge abrasive could well sort you......or leave it be, of course!
John :)

Its a brushed stainless steel fininish, and you can see the brushing going across the width of the hob. Very fine wet and dry paper would be the abrasive of choice but there's a high chance of making it worse.
If you have a Dremel type drill with a polishing mop, then some jewellers rouge abrasive could well sort you......or leave it be, of course!

Hi

Thanks a lot!

If going with the wet and dry, what one should I get? They've all got different numbers I think!

Thanks

Indeed they have, and the higher number the finer the grit will be.
Use the paper wet, with some dilute soap solution (thats why its called wet or dry - the adhesive sticking the grit is waterproof like the backing paper).
You'll get what you need from any motor factor, but I'd strongly recommend practice on a similar product first.....the results initially will look shiny.

The grain is the direction that the stainless was originally polished in. In your picture it goes top to bottom. The scratches that someone have put in go at 90 degrees to the original grain, which is why they stand out so much.

However, a grained finish is a nightmare to blend. You could make it look better, but you'll never make it look perfect.

If you did want to work on it yourself, don't use wire wool. Use a coarse scouring pad. The grained finish that the stainless has on it is basically a series of scratches all in the same direction. You need to put more scratches into the metal in the same direction as the original grain to help hide the mark. The other option is to use a fine grade flap wheel in a dremel or similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back