Help with wiring in electric hob tonight

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see how 'I'll have to put a new split load unit in there' could morph into 'my existing split load needs replacing'...chinese whispers.

Sponsored Links
And just because they are for more than she thinks it should cost does not mean that they are not good competitive quotes....

She sounds like she wants something done for nothing!!

which is why she's trying to do the hob herself..

the train of thought goes... "it's only the same as putting a new plug on the toaster.... not putting a new socket in.. "

AT the risk of sounding a little harsh,

This is clearly a case of Darwinism in action. (see darwin awards)

OP, friendly advice from a fellow DIYer step away from the screwdriver spend the money you need too to get a qualified sparks in, then sleep safely in the knowledge that you will live to use the appliance and your house flat or whatever may well survive another day.

If you want to ignore the advice well good luck
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/770179-overview

Note the toe tag on one of the pictures on that site sugesting the pic taken post mortem

Sponsored Links
the train of thought goes... "it's only the same as putting a new plug on the toaster.... not putting a new socket in.. "
My train of thought goes, I know some people who can't put a plug on a toaster.....

Right. The facts:

Hob 6.4kw = 27.8 AMPS
Oven 3kw = 13 AMPS
TOTAL = 40.8 AMPS

The plate with the large red switch doesn't appear to have a fuse inside. Where does my 40 AMP fuse need to be? Does it need to be in the consumer unit under the stairs? I have an old unit that has cartidge fuses. Do I need to know which refers to my kitchen then ensure that a has a 40 AMP fuse?

And can someone tell me what is wrong with the square junction box I have? Yesterday everyone shrieked and howled and said I was 'stupid', rather than being sensible and responsible by telling me what was wrong with it.

(please only reply if you genuninely have some help, not if you're going to make nasty, snide comments. That helps no-one)

You need to look in your fuseboard and see what value of fuse is protecting your existing cooker circuit.

Right. The facts:

Hob 6.4kw = 27.8 AMPS
Oven 3kw = 13 AMPS
TOTAL = 40.8 AMPS

The plate with the large red switch doesn't appear to have a fuse inside. Where does my 40 AMP fuse need to be? Does it need to be in the consumer unit under the stairs? I have an old unit that has cartidge fuses. Do I need to know which refers to my kitchen then ensure that a has a 40 AMP fuse?
No - the cooker should have a separate fuse in the consumer unit, which will most likely be labelled (written inside the small cover over the fuses)
It should not be on the kitchen circuit
And can someone tell me what is wrong with the square junction box I have? Yesterday everyone shrieked and howled and said I was 'stupid', rather than being sensible and responsible by telling me what was wrong with it.
Apart from the fact that you are ignoring the professional advice given, the connector strip you intend to use is rated at 30A, whereas your own calculations above indicate you need one rated at over 40A

The plate with the large red switch doesn't appear to have a fuse inside
no! its not supposed to.

Where does my 40 AMP fuse need to be? Does it need to be in the consumer unit under the stairs?
yes .

your cooker should be on its own circuit.

the sockets are on a seperate circuit.

Ok, I have one of the old type fuse boards below. The fuses are rated, from left to right, 15, 5, 5, 30, 30, 30

When you say I need to see which one is protecting my cooker, do you mean which one is protecting my kitchen? There are 6 fuses in the board and I assumed they each related to a different room in the house. Thanks for your help mogget...

Ok, I have one of the old type fuse boards below. The fuses are rated, from left to righ, 15, 5, 5, 30, 30, 30

When you say I need to see which one is protecting my cooker, do you mean which one is protecting my kitchen? There are 6 fuses in the board and I assumed they each related to a different room in the house. Thanks for your help mogget...

Not true - is there anything written inside the cover?

Nothing written on the inside cover. It's just blank. Why would the cooker have it's very own fuse, but not other appliances in the house?

Just to say, AttractiveBrunette, that, with the utmost respect, I would get

an electrician to wire the hob in for you. I say this because I really care

about your safety, ELECTRICITY CAN KILL so please please please be

very careful, you may be competent to do a straight swap, but this isn't a

straight swap. Remember, I am not trying to be nasty, I'm sure you

know alot about things that I don't know anything about at all, and this

wiring in the electric hob is probably something that I myself would leave

to a professional electrician.

We all have our area of expertise, mine is computing and computer networking.

I now hope you will take my advice without getting offended.

Bless,

Stuart

P.S. Please don't let other people on this forum get you down, they can be a bit nasty on here from time to time!!

Nothing written on the inside cover. It's just blank. Why would the cooker have it's very own fuse, but not other appliances in the house?

Because the cooker draws a lot of current and so uses different size cable (6mm) instead of sockets (2.5mm) and lights (1 or 1.5mm)

The fuse closest to the main switch looks from the picture as though it has a single 6mm cable going into it. Can you confirm that this is the case since I can't see it clearly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back