help with wiring up a motor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
i was given this motor free of charge from a member on the site and apparently its off of a record planer/thicknesser.
as you can see in the pictures it has an NVR switch.
there is 4 wires comming from the NVR and i was hoping someone would point me in the right direction in how to wire this up properly.
even if i cant use the NVR, is there a way to just connect a normal plug to it to power it .

hope you can help
thanks

chris....
pic5.JPG
pic5.JPG
pic4.JPG
pic5.JPG
pic4.JPG
pic3.JPG
pic2.JPG
pic1.JPG

Sponsored Links
Can you show us the No Volt Release with the cover off?
Originally I'd have thought the schuko plug will have been the power supply. The only other things I can think you'd have other than the motor supply are stop buttons/interlocks and indicators.
I'm thinking as it was from a planer that it will only be wired for the motor running one way.
Quite often there is a diagram in the motor terminal box lid. I'm not sure what the two black wires are for, possibly a thermal cut off or a centrifugal switch.

As above,
Did you check the reverse side of the cover, that youve took of the motor, there may be a schematic

I remember trying to work out the wiring for a Bibo 1 flyte pump. A domestic electrician had disconnected it and had thought you could just connect up and if it went wrong way then swap two wires.

However with single phase that's not the case and even measuring the resistance and trying to select lowest winding as start and highest as run does not work. I really do hate single phase motors there seems to be no common method of working out what does what.

Unless your very lucky and some one has exactly that motor then only way is find a wiring diagram. I guessed with the pump and got it wrong so burnt it out. OK it ran for a time maybe 6 hours but in the end went pop.

With single phase motors there are many ways to get it to start. Capacitors, time switches, centrifugal switches are all used and mixed and matched so it is near impossible to wire without the info on that motor.

Sponsored Links
I remember trying to work out the wiring for a Bibo 1 flyte pump. A domestic electrician had disconnected it and had thought you could just connect up and if it went wrong way then swap two wires.

However with single phase that's not the case and even measuring the resistance and trying to select lowest winding as start and highest as run does not work. I really do hate single phase motors there seems to be no common method of working out what does what.

Unless your very lucky and some one has exactly that motor then only way is find a wiring diagram. I guessed with the pump and got it wrong so burnt it out. OK it ran for a time maybe 6 hours but in the end went pop.

With single phase motors there are many ways to get it to start. Capacitors, time switches, centrifugal switches are all used and mixed and matched so it is near impossible to wire without the info on that motor.

Eric, it probably burnt out because you ran it on the start winding. Running for 6 hours I would suspect that you may have had both windings continually energised until the start winding eventually failed. If it had been on just the start winding I doubt it would have lasted very long at all. On single phase motors the start winding is always the higher resistance and the run the lower one. Sometimes they can be very close or even equal, (though not very often). As you say, you then have various methods to disconnect the start winding once the motor is running utit is imperative they are connected correctly.

With the flyte pump the start winding was a lower resistance to run hence the problem. I had got start and run windings swapped around but since it did work and did some seem to draw excessive current I had not realised.

This is my point not all motors are the same and no good guessing.

these are the inside pics of the nvr switch.
if i cant run it with the nvr, surely someone knows how i can fit a normal plug to it to run it that way...

thanks

chris....

Attachments

• IMG_0014 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0014 (Small).JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0015 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0015 (Small).JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0016 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0016 (Small).JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 118

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back