Helping people kill each other, with Electrical advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
well What can i say,

Most poeple wouldnt know how to switch on an electrical tester let alone use one.
would you buy a house off of these diy electricians and put yourself your family and kids at risk.

Do yourself a favour save up and get a pro to do your work.

Sponsored Links
I do see where your coming from but

Someone taught me to drive a car, if i could afford a chauffeur i would never have bothered.

Start at the top and work your way down.

Labour charge massive why tax man has most of it, cost of appliances mark up on imported cheaply made products.

someones getting rich and it isn't the guys who spent years in college playing with Electrics every day.

Maybe if workers were allowed to earn a crust for their labour no one on here would NEED!! to attempt anything.

As it is i think this site is brilliant, interesting and educational with advise that is backed by available diagrams and pdf docs. What more could you want.

People will continue to try DIY and at least there is somewhere to come and ask for advice.

I think that is better than some one fitting a plug with a blindfold on.

IMHO

Yes i can say that this site is very good for helping people with diy problems ,BUT Electrics is a different kettle of fish.

looking forward to a bomb disposal forum ( comming soon ) or maybee a lets see who gets the biggest electrical burn scar compertition.

Sponsored Links
have you tried picketing the large outlets that actually sell the parts needed to do these jobs, to anyone who wishes to try irrespective of qualifications.

As long as this is happening DIY electrical will not stop therefore if anything this site is clearing up the mess.

HVMAN said:
Yes i can say that this site is very good for helping people with diy problems ,BUT Electrics is a different kettle of fish.

I bet more people injure themselves putting up wallpaper than installing a new socket front. Scaremongering by desperate people like you causes more problems than it solves.

Telling everyone to pay a professional to do everything for them is ludicrous.

When a bird ****s on your windscreen do you take it to a pro valet service? When you need a few mm shaved from the top of your new doors do you take it to a master carpenter? When you get bored do you come onto a DIY forum and start telling everyone NOT to do it themselves? Oh wait, yes you do :confused:

While I understand why you are saying what you are, I think this is totally the wrong place to do it. The people who visit this site (besides the pros who dish out the advice) are the people you need to worry least about since they are the ones looking for the help and guidance they need. Why don't you go door to door finding the people who don't seek the advice they need to do it safely and pester them instead?

From another post I see you are an electrician of some sort, surely you understand the importance of giving the advice people need to do the jobs safely? Otherwise why did you sign up to a DIY forum?

In actual fact some of the larger diy outlets ( you know the ones ) will not give advice on any electrical instalation work.

look, not wishing to rock the boat im all for people doing a bit of diy ,looking out for peoples safety here.

Do a google serch for electrical burns and look at images then maybee you will know where im coming from.( nasty stuff here )

HVMAN said:
Do a google serch for electrical burns and look at images then maybee you will know where im coming from.( nasty stuff here )

send it to your local MP and ask him to pass a law that these type of trades should have TAX relief so as to make them accessible to a persons income and not the average income as stated at £22,000 :rolleyes: ( i wish) better make that low income.

when this happens i wouldn't hesitate to call in an electrician for all my electrical work.

I know where your coming from mate, and I totally agree that some DIY'ers shouldn't be allowed out of their padded rooms, but the way you started this thread was unnecessary, especially on a DIY forum where the people who are reading are the sensible ones looking to do the job safely and properly.

Following some basic safety precautions (checking cables are dead before touching them) and seeking the advice regarding cable choice etc. removes all danger from almost every DIY task within a domestic situation.

Oh, and the reason most sheds don't give out electrical advice is most of their employees are straight out of school and their parents still change the fuses for them :LOL:

I didnt join this forum for an argument,but when i read " whats a neutrel do "its quite concerning.

where im coming from here is that you can give the best advice in the world (and some of these people do within this forum )and the diy person may do a great job ,but all is lost without the knowlage of testing an installation correctly.

how am desperate ?

HVMAN said:
I didnt join this forum for an argument,but when i read " whats a neutrel do "its quite concerning.

Yeh, that thread does make one question the intelligence of some :LOL:

HVMAN said:
how am desperate ?

It was a harsh comment made after first reading your post so I apologise if it caused offence but telling everyone to 'save up and get a pro to do your job' is about on par with saying 'you can't do the job, phone me and I'll do it for you but don't forget your cheque book because I'm having a quiet month'.

Now I see from a few more of your posts that you are here to give advice so I misjudged you as another one of those argumentative tosspots here just to make problems but you have to admit, this thread title is very provocative for most DIY'ers and many pros who come here to offer their advice to prevent people doing stupid things.

have you ever thought some people LIKE diy, and come to this forum to see if what they plan to do is right?

another point is some people can not afford to pay what some charge for their services, so they will go ahead and do what they think is right, and some of those will come here and ask first

This is the UK not Australia.

(in case you do not know in Australia they can only fit a plug or change a lamp)

HVMAN said:

I agree the question "What does a neutral do ?" could be interpreted to be an indication of lack of knowledge. But by asking the question the inquirer has shown he knows his limitations and is seeking help.

DIY electrics are NOT dangerous because they are DIY and not all professional installations are safe because they were carried out by a professional.

Often DIYers take more care becasue it is their own property and they have to live in it.

HVMAN said:
well What can i say,

Most poeple wouldnt know how to switch on an electrical tester let alone use one.
would you buy a house off of these diy electricians and put yourself your family and kids at risk.

Do yourself a favour save up and get a pro to do your work.
I completely agree with what you are saying & I think we have a duty to tell posters this, as I have, when we feel they are out of there depth, but I think you can judge from the way people ask their questions if they are likely to kill themselves or not. The beauty of this site is I feel, that a lot of sparks can learn things that they did not know,( I know I have) aswell as the diyers.

Many years ago we lived in a house which needed re-wiring (Neutral fuses, cast iron main switch, rubber cabling, no lighting neutral etc etc. Enough to give the supplier the right to cancel on safety grounds!

We could not afford to pay someone to re-wire - some people think mortgage rates are high now!!!.

We had two young children who were just getting into electical toys (scalelectix/megadrive etc).

Before the internet but some time spent in the library with 15th Edition, a couple of conversations with the electrician at work (who loaned me test equipment) and I re-wired the house. The MEB guy who connected the CU it said it had the best readings for a re-wire he had ever seen!

Would you prefer that we had continued to live in what was a dangerously wired house? Or put up with what the professionals do as seen here?

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=79046&highlight=

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back