What does the P stand for in Part P?

Noz.....oh forget it........i really cant be [removed] tryin to explain myself again when you havent read the full thread. [removed]

Swearing removed.
Moderator 9

Sponsored Links
at some point you're going to have to notify the LABC to comply with the law anyway, whether it be by getting asparky to notify, or paying the LABC yourself..

as alreasy stated, you'll be hard pressed to get a sparky to sign for work not done by them, for legal reasons ( it's technically fraud for one.. )..

I appreciate that you are only really looking for a hand to hold whilst doing the work yourself..

the LABC will check your proposal when you notify, check it at first fix and tell you of any alterations you need to make, and then come back and test it when you're finished..

please note that in the above examples I made, I only said MIGHT..

the situation with my uncle is different becasue, 1) I've worked with him before and he knows what my standard of work is, 2) he's family and willing to accept the risk..

Thanks ColJack.

Oh and Noz.....any chance as your in flintshire you could give me your trading name so i can wipe you off my list of sparks i WOULD call to come do the work for me[removed]

Abuse removed
Moderator 9

steve, it's late and you're obviously getting a little irritable, I suggest it might be bed time before you start making posts you might regret.. ( burning bridges and all that.. )

Sponsored Links
Steve,
I have read the whole thread.

What you are wanting to do is to get an electrician in to give you advice so that you can install additions to a circuit in a location which would make the work notifyable, let you carry out the work and then come back and sign it off....

For the electrician to do that is Illegal!!! Plenty of people have told you this and you are still looking for a way to circumvent the law which shows that you you are going to carry out the work regardless and possibly not to the current regulations.

Your statement as to how much you have been quoted is irrelevant as we do not know what other work is needed to bring the circuit up to regs...

Thanks to all for the good advice i have received.

No thanks to those who just critisize me wanting to do take an interest in doing the work myself.

To those people, remember when you were starting out....you needed someone to help you didnt you?

Now your qualified (by means of an exam that any moron can pass if its a simple abcd multiple choice paper taken enough times over, your bound to pass) i guess you think that your the bees knees and forget about us little people who obviously dont know AS MUCH as you!

Im no moron, ive worked in and around the trades for years....ive worked along side sparks on site and have a good understanding....i wasnt asking for a great deal but it seems if you want advice, gotta pay........

Im gonna go into business as a spark and change my name to Jerry Maguire..............SHOW ME THE MONAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! FFS

Its been nice chatting to some of you guys.....im now completely fed up of everyone saying the same thing over and over.

Im gonna call it a day on this site as practical advice seems very sparse.

ColJack,

Yeah you could say im a bit irritable.

Apologies for that. And apologies to you Noz.

I know you guys are only out to protect the incompetent DIYer and give advice but i have had weeks of trying to get this sorted.....can you understand my level of frustration?

I have called more or less every local leccy in the book....had some come out to give ridiculous prices some wont come at all....some just hang up...

Im fed up with the lot and it doesnt seem like rocket science to get done what i need.

Can you see why people like "attractive brunette" have a go themselves bearing in mind the general attitude of the sparky to anyone who isnt qualified.???

Best regards to all

Steve.

First and foremost I recognise ( from experience ) that the majority of DIYers lack the knowledge to design and install electrics in way that ensures future safety.

Steve,
What you are wanting to do is to get an electrician in to give you advice so that you can install additions to a circuit in a location which would make the work notifyable, let you carry out the work and then come back and sign it off.... For the electrician to do that is Illegal!!!

How does that square up to the LABC getting another electrician to arrive on site and then sign of work that he or she had not seen installed. How does this LABC commissioned electrician determine there are no in-accessible junction boxes ? He or she cannot make that statement of compliance. Yet the LABC will accept their signature on the signing off form.

I totally agree that the penny pinching bodge job landlords should be enforced to comply with all parts of Building Regs on full formal inspection and certification. Or they should be banned from ALL DIY work on houses they rent out.

But the house owner who researches the standards required and then carries out the work to those standards is very different from both the average "red goes to red and black goes to black" DIYer and has no comparison to the penny pinching bodge job landlords.

The house owner who approaches the task properly should not be treated in the same manner as those who do not.

I too appreciate exactly what Bernard has said.

Because i am a DIYer in terms of wanting to tackle some of my own electrical installtion, im automatically deemed to fall into the category of "oh no, not another incompetent bodger"

I fully appreciate the need for things to be safe and for them to comply with current regulations etc , however, just beacuse i myself am not an electrician, doesnt mean i cant be capable of carrying out work to a safe and even possibly a higher standard than i would get should i get the "professional" in.

For one, the professional will treat my home just like any other job, and ive seen alot of sparkys put sockets up, say 3 in a row, one higher than the other, one lower, not square etc...right messes cos once theyve been paid....they dont give a monkeys how the job looks.

This is especially apparent with site work so i have noticed.
Ive heard some (not all) sparkys on site doing bodges themselves and admitting it between each other and having a laugh!..........if i pay someone to come and do MY house, whats to say that i wont get the same???

At least if im tacklling some of the minor work i can ensure that everything is bang on level and square in terms of socket location.
(obviously being a tiler, im very much concernered about all things being level and square :LOL: )

As ColJack said, yeah, i suppose i am looking for someone to somewhat "hold my hand" and give me good accurate advice on do's and dont's - surely this isnt asking too much?

Key things to keep in mind here are:

1. yeah, i wanna do the work myself
2. just cos i do it myself, doesnt mean i dont want it to be safe.
3. i am prepared to pay for assistance or guidance to ensure compliance.
4. i , despite what you may think, am NOT an inept DIYer.

So, dya reckon we can all agree to get along? i didnt come here to get into slanging matches - i came for some friendly advice etc.

Best regards to you all
Steve

that's a gross generalisation that I dont like..

just becasue you've seen a couple of uneven sockets you assume that all sparkies are bodgers and are out to rob you of every penny you have???

how dare you..!!!!..

I've seen tilers who don't use spacers and have vastly different spacings between lines, crooked tiles and even different gaps from tile to tile..
I've also seen where a tiler has cut a tile a 1/4 inch too small and then filled the gap with grout because he couldn't be botered to go get another tile...

so lets not start slinging mud about everyone elses trades..
you get rough bastards no matter what trade you are in...

you get what you pay for at the end of the day..

Did i say "ALL"??? NO i didnt.......i just said its some experience ive had.

Excuse me on having seen some rough work and commenting about it....it wasnt a pop at electricians - i was merely stating a fact.
Dont jump down my throat for god's sake man! Ease up a wee bit!

Yes, agree theres good and bad with us all. So lets leave it at that.

Did no one read the bit about "can we all get along"???

I cant see the problem with me wanting to do the work myself.......if its done correctly.

As an example, Joe may be a fairly proficient mechanic who knows his way around the inside of an engine....he knows that he can change a fan belt. replace a distributor etc.....HOWEVER if he does the work himself, he is just as likely to put his life and the lifes of others at risk!

Yet, because its not regulated, millions of people will do it and think nothing of it. Ive done work to my van that i know would have cost a lot more had i taken it to a garage.

The point being - we all like to save money if possible. If anything can be done a bit cheaper (and still as safe) i think most of us would choose that option.

Im not a rich man so money is important but equally important is safety.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back