What does the P stand for in Part P?

If your gearbox went on your car, and you could buy a new one for 68p, would you expect to pay just 68p to have it replaced then?

Do you wear a seat belt when you drive?

Sponsored Links
If your gearbox went on your car, and you could buy a new one for 68p, would you expect to pay just 68p to have it replaced then?

No id expect it for free as my car is 6 months old, under warranty, will be regualry serviced and is 5 star rated as I respect the safety of my family.

whats yours?

This is diversifying into the realms of justification of installation fees.

I, for one, dont beleive that you can justify £50 an hour+ for doing something relatively simple.

The reason we as joe public pay so much for "a qualified electrician" is because of the "scare factor"

If the world of electrics wasnt so black and white, (red green blue and yellow and brown too dont forget) then alot of simple work could be done by the DIYer....but as it stands at the moment....when you say ELECTRIC to someone, they go....oooooooooo better get a spark in.

Which is pointless if you can do it SAFELY yourself.

Sponsored Links
I, for one, dont beleive that you can justify £50 an hour+ for doing something relatively simple.

and we also dislike the £1,000 it cost to just be registered / insured to work that is just for starters obviously you are lucky enough not to be self employed and paying out constantly just for the priviledge

Actually..i AM self employed....another thing you have taken for granted. I too have overheads but i dont pass them on to joe public with such gusto.

Check yourself and get your facts right before you comment.

Yet another subject thats been done to death in the epic battle between the know it all and the qualified person.

Maybe if you didnt accept so much of the costs of business back on yourself you could afford to get a spark in

Yet another subject thats been done to death in the epic battle between the know it all and the qualified person.

Maybe if you didnt accept so much of the costs of business back on yourself you could afford to get a spark in

Not claiming to be a know it all! for god sake!!!! how many china men does it take to change a fing lightbulb!

Dont come to me for a quote if you want a nice shiny new porcelain floor or ill sting you!

Actually..i AM self employed....another thing you have taken for granted. I too have overheads but i dont pass them on to joe public with such gusto.

Check yourself and get your facts right before you comment.

my facts are right thank you, i pressumed you were self employed. so how much does it cost you for public liability insurance, registration with whoever? no where near £1,000 a year i bet
and that doesn't inlude the £900+ for part p, £950+ every 5 years for ACS plus all the other costs involved in gas/electric company costs

No id expect it for free as my car is 6 months old, under warranty, will be regualry serviced and is 5 star rated as I respect the safety of my family.

whats yours?

I fail to see what relevance my car has to this debate, but it is 5 star rated FWIW.

Do you wear a seatbelt when you drive?

Recently coming up against a brick wall of legislation and government beurocracy concerning electrical work in the home.
Recently?

Part P has been in force for over 4 years.

My issue is that what i come up with now is that i cant find a spark who will give ANY advice.
You'll find plenty here, as well as non-sparkies who know what they're talking about.

My point being, they say DIY electric is NOT against the rules.
It's not - and neither are DIY window installation, DIY sanitary appliance installation, DIY gas appliance installation, DIY loft conversions, DIY extension builds, even DIY complete house-builds from scratch.

Do you think that there should be a free-for-all with everything, or do you think that there should be safety and competency standards with which people should comply?

I stand corrected. Just that every sparky ive talked to has rightly informed me that i cant just "DIY" my own eleccy in kitchen/bathroom.....it needs to be signed off etc.

What would your view on this be?
My view would be that they are quite correct.

I know we cant ascertain everyones degree of "competency" but it would be my belief that a suitably qualified electrician SHOULD be allowed to inspect / advise on a non qualified persons DIY electrics.
They are allowed to - there is absolutely nothing forbidding them.

If they choose not to then that's just what it is - their choice.

I disagree, I have moved homes three times in the last 7 years and non of the surveys I have paid for or the surveys carried out by the buyers of my houses (with me present) have done such a thing.

Admittedly I havent moved since HIPS, but the onus woulod be on me and my house then. That can be blagged.
It costs a few hundred quid to comply with the law, and the penalty for breaking it is a fine of up to £5K and a term of imprisonment of up to 6 months.

However, once you lie on a questionnaire from your prospective buyer about not having had notifiable work done you're then into the realms of fraud. Do you have any idea what the penalties are for that?

If, however, i can carry out the work myself, knowing that im doing it in the right fashion then i cant see anything wrong with doing that?
But what if you only think you know, and turn out to be seriously wrong about that?

What if you don't have doubts about a particular aspect, not because you do know it but because you have no idea it even exists?

A few weeks ago someone posted here with a Q about the type of junction box she needed to connect an electric hob. During the course of that discussion her choice of cable came to light, but if she hadn't asked about the JB she would have gone ahead and wired up a 6.4kW appliance with a cable rated at 3A.

Why? Because she thought she knew what she was doing, and had absolutely no idea that different sized cables had different current carrying capacities, so that wasn't something she was unsure of or realised she needed to find out about.

If a DIYer launches into a job without researching it first then they are stupid.
I got heavily criticised for saying that.

I cant afford to pay a sparky £1000+ to come and update something that has and still is, servicing without problem. (18yrs+ now)
I haven't had a car accident for 18+ years where a seat belt would have been beneficial.

Will it be safe for me to drive tomorrow without wearing one?

Cant help but think that some electrician had the brainwave of introducing new colours (not for safety) but to be able to say...oh...thats out of date...you need to pay me a fortune to get it sorted for you!
I think you'll find it was our 'friends' in europe :evil:
I think you'll find that we are Europeans, and that other countries also made changes to arrive at a harmonised scheme.

My gosh ban.

Ive just read all that after eating a sunday dinner which was cooked on my rather shodily wired in hob, which is run off the shower MCB which im assuming was wired by a "competent" electrician as i had nothing to do with it.

Im on here looking for practical DIY advice, not to be slandered for not being a qualified electrician and wanting to do some of it myself.

If you could change a tyre on your super safe car, you would. This is similar in principal. Doesnt make you a tyre fitter and you can still die from the consequences of your own actions.

Yet you would do it if you felt competent?

Again, i reiterate...there is good and bad wherever we look. If we choose to ignore the consequences of our actions then we should be prepared to reap them.

I am beginning to regret posting threads on here seeking advice. I have received some very good from flameport and steve to name a few....

Just not happy with some peoples attitude towards me wanting to do some of the work myself STRESSING the fact that it would only be done if i was sure it would be safe.

Cant we all just get along and agree to help each other?

I dont know which electricians your dealing with ban, but every single one that i have phoned from my yellow pages has said to me that they wont even come out to look at anything ive done (cos obviously its not a paying job!)

So with that in mind, the day of DIY leccy is apparently dead and i feel that because of legislation in place currently, it will only force more people into underground DIY without any advice at all.

At least im trying to do the right thing and seek advice. You cant knock me for doing that....

Do you seriously expect that someone would come out to your house and look at your wiring for free? :LOL:

so you want a signature on a job that you did for free?

get stuffed..

if you want a sparky to come out and check your work for you and provide a test sheet then you'll have to pay for one..

no sparky in their right mind will just take a look and give you the nod..
expect a couple of hours at least to test your work properly since you don't have the test equipment to do it..

for all you know, you stuck a screw through a cable and dont even realize..

would yo come and look at the tiling in my bathroom and tell me if I'm doing it right? for free??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back