What does the P stand for in Part P?

My property (built 1934) is very unlikely to pass any inspection. I know of instances whereby there are inaccessable junction boxes all over the place.
The CU itself is an old wylex board. Its had several additions to it over the years but my guess is it no way likely to pass todays standards for safety.
As for the wiring - hmm....all of it is old colours obviously.

So im assuming now that as all of this isnt up to regs, when i sell, im gonna either have to stump up to get it done or knock it off the selling price of my house.

Either way im gonna lose.

Sponsored Links
Ooops ! did i open a rather large can of wriggly worms with this! :LOL: :LOL:

Yes you did. But isn't it better the worms are wriggling free.

Lets pick out one worm.

The bit that a lot of PeoPle seem to ignore is that if a DIYer can convince the local authority that he or she is comptentent to do a safe installation then all that Part P ( as with almost all the other parts A to O is that there is a signed certificate to show the work was done to a safe standard. In some areas the certificate may need to be backed up with evidence, in others it doesn't.

BUT do NOT think that is a free ticket to walk in a say " I am a competent person and my skills, knowledge, ethics and methods of working will result in a safe installation so I can sign it off" You have to prove that and then convince the building inspector's officers you will work accordingly.

AND THE ADVICE REMAINS Most DIYer's do NOT have the full background knowledge to be aware of all the dangers that an in-correct installation will create.

Very true. I dont even pretend to know all the stuff that a qualified electrician knows...after all...you guys are the experts and thats what you pay for.

If, however, i can carry out the work myself, knowing that im doing it in the right fashion then i cant see anything wrong with doing that?

Dya get me?

If a DIYer launches into a job without researching it first then they are stupid.

Having said that though, wiht a bit of research and reading up on the job and buying the correct parts it is hardly brain surgery imo.

Sponsored Links
It isn't what you know what will bite you though, it's what you don't know!

It isn't what you know what will bite you though, it's what you don't know!

Hence the need to thoroughly research any intended alterations PRIOR to tacklling them if your doing DIY leccy.

After all, none of us DIYers wanna end up dead.

So the moral would be, if your gonna do it yourself...get the correct info, advice etc....otherwise reap the whirlwind.

My property (built 1934) is very unlikely to pass any inspection. I know of instances whereby there are inaccessable junction boxes all over the place.
The CU itself is an old wylex board. Its had several additions to it over the years but my guess is it no way likely to pass todays standards for safety.
As for the wiring - hmm....all of it is old colours obviously.

So im assuming now that as all of this isnt up to regs, when i sell, im gonna either have to stump up to get it done or knock it off the selling price of my house.

Either way im gonna lose.

So you know your installation is not upto standard, and may well be unsafe.

You know that if you employed an electrician, he would leave you with a safe installation.

Yet, you would rather DIY your own work and knowingly leave your installation in an unsafe condition.

You say if something goes wrong, you will just deny doing anything. What if your house burnt down or your wife got killed?

Would you deny it then, and sellp sound on a night with a clear conscience?
It seens like a poor attitude to take, and the very reason that new regulations were brought in.

It is there to protect you.

Do you wear a seatbelt when you drive?

I was saying that those WOULD be the options....i didnt say that i would do any work? I was just pointing out the various options that joe public could possibly have.

I certainly would not undertake any work without being 100% sure that it was safe and not at risk.

Regarding the current installation, im looking into a home renovation grant which ive been told, will have an inspection and anything that is out of date or unsafe will get sorted.
I cant afford to pay a sparky £1000+ to come and update something that has and still is, servicing without problem. (18yrs+ now)

Ever heard of the saying - if it aint broke, dont fix it?
Dont take me too literally. I mean i know that there are certain thiings that could be improved upon with my electric installation but if we were all to look at this then im sure 90% of people would need updating too.

Cant help but think that some electrician had the brainwave of introducing new colours (not for safety) but to be able to say...oh...thats out of date...you need to pay me a fortune to get it sorted for you!

Well some ****er did and they need dragging out and shooting :evil:

Im all for safety but some things are just too PC.

I certainly would not undertake any work without being 100% sure that it was safe and not at risk.

Hmm, do you have a set of testers then and know how to do all the relevant tests and the values you should be looking for?

Jees....is this "have a pop at the tiler" day :LOL:

No. Dont have the full gear. Im not actually planning on rewiring a house here folks!

Joking aside, i know electrcity can kill - thats why im posting on here.

What a load of bóllox

Are all your cars 5 star NCAP rated? how could you possibly live with yourself if your wife died because you couldnt be bothered to upgrade to the latest spec.

The principle is exactly the same - ideally we would all provide this for our families carwise and electricswise and anythingwise..... in the real world money is a factor.

If electicians didnt charge £50+ to change a switch that costs 68p and takes 5 minutes to do we would all employ one (I also respect that they need to earn a living though). If Audi didnt charge £20k for a car that costs probably £5k to make (smaller percentage margin!!) we would all have cars that brake for you and make it practically an impossibility to crash into a 4 year old at 20mph.

you sound like a sound character to me nitro.

Yes if we all could afford the very best we indeed would get it.

Some people have a budget and have to work to that. Im trying to avoid the expense of a spark to do what i would call "minor work"

As an example...prior to me posting on this forum, i had an electrician come out to price me on adding two FCU's and moving one single socket.

All quite straight forward from what he told me and from what ive gleaned from some replies here.

I almost passed out when he asked me for £350....and that was his best price wih me getting the materials.

Licence to print money springs to mind.

But saying that, in the same breath i have the utmost respect for any professional trade.

Now ill get slammed cos i dont have a multi meter............. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back