What does the P stand for in Part P?

Am i right in assuming then Kevin, that you indeed like to pay more for something even if you can get it cheaper?

Dont tell me, if you go to the supermarket and see the same thing on the shelf, you choose the more expensive one just for the hell of it?

Sponsored Links
yes I do..

I buy warburtons bread because it's nicer than the cheap "value" bread.
I buy Coke instead of the supermarkets own brand.
I buy nescafe coffee rather than cheaper alternatives..

you can't deny that the better quality things cost more..

right now onto the point..

you've been told time and time again that no-one is stopping you from doing your own electrics.. it's not illegal as long as you get the LABC to check your work..

going on your car analogy.. anything that could be life threatening is checked once a year by a government approved tester during your MOT..

we are more than happy to provide you with help as has already been proven in your other posts.. no one ignored them, you were given advice on how to do it..

so what's the problem?

bitch ( < female dog... ) about part P and the government trying to ensure you do a safe and good job all you want, it's there to protect you and others from harm..

Thats the whole thing..........

LET ME REITIRATE ONE MOR FINAL TIME - I DO NOT EXPECT TO GET A SPARK TO COME AND GIVE ME A SIGNATURE ETC BASED SOLELY ON SOMETHING I THREW TOGETHER MYSELF THINKING THAT IT WAS CORRECT - I FULLY EXPECT TO HAVE TO PAY TO AT SOME POINT FOR AN EXPERT TO INSPECT PREIODICALLY AND FINALLY.

What i am finding however, is , as soon as i mention to my local sparkys that i intend to do the work myself and i would require them to do this necessary inspection etc . . . they dont WANT TO KNOW!

I fully appreciate that im not gonna get a bloke to come out, give me advice, come back and sign.

Yes, i can get LABC to inspect at various stages etc and this is what i intend to do but in the meantime, trying to get advice is like trying to find rocking horse ****.

I mean, i cant be expected to call out BC for evrything that i may be unsure of so what do i do?? trying to phone your local spark doesnt work as they dont wanna know....

Sponsored Links
Well, just got off the phone to my local buildings control.....£230 for 1st fix inspection and final certificate.

What i am also in the process of doing is looking into a home renovation grant as the rest of the wiring is out of date (old wylex board - no apparent bonding etc etc)

Looks like at this point in time, things will be on hold anyway as i dont want to do any work in the kitchen that is gonna have to get ripped out from the result of a rewire etc.

I DO appreciate all your comments and advice....

steve,
I'm sorry I seem to have riled you, that was not my intention.

As for your predicament, us sparks come on here both to give and get advice; so if you ask specific questions you will get answers and possibly further questions to give us more info so that our advice is accurate. Sometimes that will be "Get a spark" if we feel that you are not able to carry out the work safely.

But while we will give that advice freely you will not be able to get a reputable spark to sign your work off, you will have to contact your LABC for that as they are the only ones who are allowed to sign off other peoples work.

But while we will give that advice freely you will not be able to get a reputable spark to sign your work off, you will have to contact your LABC for that as they are the only ones who are allowed to sign off other peoples work.[/quote]

Thats what ive done Noz. Well looked into just this morning.

Its me who should apologise to you - i was out of order and im sorry :oops:

LET ME REITIRATE ONE MOR FINAL TIME - I DO NOT EXPECT TO GET A SPARK TO COME AND GIVE ME A SIGNATURE ETC BASED SOLELY ON SOMETHING I THREW TOGETHER MYSELF THINKING THAT IT WAS CORRECT - I FULLY EXPECT TO HAVE TO PAY TO AT SOME POINT FOR AN EXPERT TO INSPECT PREIODICALLY AND FINALLY.
Looking back at an earlier exchange, there was the impression that you were expecting something for nothing. That was incorrect, but are you sure you explained yourself, and what you wanted, and what you were prepared to pay for? You say "give me a signature" - a signature on what?

Remember, if the sparks you spoke to thought that you were asking them to certify Building Regulations compliance then I'm not surprised that none of them were interested. No matter how much they were involved in intermediate inspections, because it doesn't work like that.

What i am finding however, is , as soon as i mention to my local sparkys that i intend to do the work myself and i would require them to do this necessary inspection etc . . . they dont WANT TO KNOW!
What, exactly, were you asking them to do and to sign?

Yes, i can get LABC to inspect at various stages etc and this is what i intend to do but in the meantime, trying to get advice is like trying to find rocking horse s**t.
If you wanted to carry out your own car servicing, what do you think your chances would be of being able to phone a local garage and ask them if they could tell you what to do?

If you were building an extension, how easy do you think you'd find it to get a brickie to come and give you advice on building the walls?

Or a plasterer to give you advice on plastering them?

Or a roofer to give you advice on constructing the roof?

Or a plumber to give you advice on installing the central heating?

Etc etc etc.....

I mean, i cant be expected to call out BC for evrything that i may be unsure of
It's not their job to advise you, any more than it's their job to teach you bricklaying, plastering, plumbing skills etc.

so what do i do??
You have to LEARN. Just as with any field of work you want to undertake.

And you have to put the effort into some proper structured learning before you even get as far as the design stage for what you want to do.

If you look here you'll find a suggested list of useful books.

Asking questions here will be a useful adjunct to learning, but they cannot be a substitute for it, and asking questions here on an as-and-when basis when you're in the middle of doing a job is definitely a no-no.

trying to phone your local spark doesnt work as they dont wanna know....
I honestly don't see how you can expect anything else. You're asking a professional to give you paid advice. Firstly the costs of that would very soon add up to more than the cost of having them do the work, and secondly (and much more importantly) it creates very real problems with professional liability. If you were doing a complete rewire, or a new-build then it probably would be possible for you to get an electrician to be in charge, and for you to work under her direction and supervision as a labourer doing the grunt work of chasing walls, lifting floors etc, just like you would if you were an apprentice, or an unqualified employee in a large installation company. But for a job as small as you describe that just isn't feasible.

Dont worry yourself Ban.

Sorry if i gave the wrong impression that i wasnt prepared to pay someone....sorry if i seemed to come across as expecting something for nothing. - never my intention.

As for learning - thats what i would like to do. Im even looking into taking some courses concerning electrics. I love to be able to multi task and another string to the bow wouldnt hurt - not saying im gonna drop the tiling but im a bit of a knowledge seeker meaning i do like to be able to do most things myself.

As far as the electrics go, im not about to wade into something thats beyond my depth as i totall appreciate the repercussions of just having a go THINKING that your competent.

I have looked into carious options....had a spark round tonite who has suggested some good things which mirror the advice that i have already received via flameport - his advice is good and i certainly wouldnt attempt to any of what he suggested myself- i know my limits. Im not prepared to put lifes at risk for the sake of a few quid.

Im in the process of looking into a home renovation grant which would provide me with a complete assesment of the electrics in my house (probably well overdue as things are dated)

In view of this, im not intending on doing ANY work myself. What i possibly will do tho is dependant on the attitude to the sparky who may carry out some work, ask if i can be of any assistance and try and learn as much as i can whilst being useful. He may or may not choose to take me up on the offer but if i dont start learning somewhere (books are ok but there is no substitution for hands on even if all i do is spectate) i will never learn. Books cant tell you where you are going wrong and give you advice. (which i dont expect for free and never have done).

In the meantime - i appreciate your input and that of your colleagues.

Im sorry that we perhaps seem to have got off on the wrong footing. I totally respect your profession - and any other trade for that matter.

Lets just agree to all get along......

(Could that be a cue for a group hug??? :LOL: :eek: :D

On a lighter note, how do you guys quote bits from here without just quoting the whole lot!...not only am i inept at electrics...i cant work a laptop FFS - damn thing! :LOL:

And one more thing while i think on....

Apologies to anyone who i may have offended during my quest to find the best, safest, cheapest way possible to carry out my leccy stuff.

Truly do appreciate all your input.

Best regards to the lot of ya's. :D

hit the quote button tp quote the lot, then add "/quote" and "quote" ( with [ or ] replacing the quotation marks ) where you need to to split it up..

ie. we do it by hand..

Cheers ColJack

Ill have a go once of finished cooking my tea....currently being warmed up on the hob whilst the shower isnt in use as they are on the same MCB.

hit the quote button tp quote the lot, then add "/quote" and "quote" ( with [ or ] replacing the quotation marks ) where you need to to split it up..
You only need to do that at the beginning to end the opening [quote=.. and then at the end to start your final quote.

Everything in between just needs to be highlighted and then the Quote button clicked...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back