Volume of tube with corners trimmed off = 48.979cm³

Therefore volume of cube - volume of tube = 951.021cm³

(I cheated! :oops: )

Sponsored Links
Volume of cube = 1000cm³

Volume of tube with corners trimmed off = 951.021cm³

Therefore volume of cube - volume of tube = 48.979cm³

Doesn't it seem rather odd to you that your answer implies 95% of the cube was lost?

If you were smart you would have estimated first, calculated second, and if the two answer were way off you would have thought again.

But of course you aren't smart..... Even when you cheat you aren't even clever enough to get it.

Let's clarify a few things here:

1) Everybody seems to have worked out that the longest hole is a diagonal. So far so good.

2) Most have realized that the volume of wood removed is less than a cylinder of that length because of the pointy ends - and it's those ends that are the problem.

3) The ends are three-sided pyramids, not four-sided. Calculating their volumes could be done by relatively straightforward calculus, that is by integrating an infinite number of triangular laminae. Alternatively, just use the 'third the volume of the enclosing prism' rule. :cool: :cool: :cool: But here's the fly in the ointment --

4) Those pyramids do not have flat bases. :confused: :confused: :confused: Their lower edges are curves which extend downwards below their corners until they meet the cylinder below. This is where the trouble starts because you are now into the business of integrating triangles with their corners cut off, not by straight lines but by circular arcs.

5) To solve this one you will first have to derive a formula for the area of such a truncated triangle, which won't be easy. (Hint: Divide the thing into three smaller triangles interleaved with three circular sectors.) Once you have your formula, you then have to integrate it - and the best of British luck on that one! :!: :!: :!:

Volume of cube = 1000cm³

Volume of tube with corners trimmed off = 951.021cm³

Therefore volume of cube - volume of tube = 48.979cm³

Doesn't it seem rather odd to you that your answer implies 95% of the cube was lost?

If you were smart you would have estimated first, calculated second, and if the two answer were way off you would have thought again.

But of course you aren't smart..... Even when you cheat you aren't even clever enough to get it.
Who said I did any calculations? I did it in Sketchup, which calculated the volumes.

Sponsored Links
construct a hollow cube with a tube weigh empty in fill it with pure water then weigh it again the difference will give the volume 1cu m-1metric ton of pure water

Nothing missed, except the original cube volume !! you subtracted the wrong value.

Solid cube minus modded cube =1000000mm³ - 951021mm³ = 48979mm³ Being the volume of the modded cylinder

calorific asked for the volume of the cube after the hole was made not the tube:

Imagine you have a 10cm by 10cm by 10cm wooden cube, and you want to drill out the longest hole possible using a 1cm radius drillbit. What is the volume of the wood that is left?

Or have I miss understood?

Been a bit busy but estimate is 950cm³ (volume of a cylinder removed of radius 1cm, length approximately √300 cm, being approx 50cm³) , will work out later. Got the method/shape in my head, doesn't need calculus; pythagoras is as hard as it gets.

If I get it wrong I shall remember to take Freddies lead and blame my tool, which in my case will be a pen and paper.

Nothing missed, except the original cube volume !! you subtracted the wrong value.

Solid cube minus modded cube =1000000mm³ - 951021mm³ = 48979mm³ Being the volume of the modded cylinder

calorific asked for the volume of the cube after the hole was made not the tube:

Imagine you have a 10cm by 10cm by 10cm wooden cube, and you want to drill out the longest hole possible using a 1cm radius drillbit. What is the volume of the wood that is left?

Or have I miss understood?

Yes, you have misunderstood your own data !
951021mm³ (951.021cm³) is modded cube, using your figures. (as I mentioned above).

-0-

Thanks freddy. What is particularly useful is the confirmation of the shape of the base of that pyramid section within your diagrams. Would love to know how that software came to it's calculated solution :confused:

Think Space Cat is onto something in his analysis, especially points 4 and 5. Therein lies the whole blooming problem!!! What is the equation of the base of the pyramid.

Thanks to you all for having a look at this and I hope you got some kind of buzz from trying to get your head around it. Hope you manage to drop it before it drives you mad :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Back