Hi, new to the forum, and need some help. (pics inside)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
Complete novice to electrics, but am here to learn.

Bit of background : I have put a double switchable outside socket which i spured off the outside power supply to the garage.
This socket provides power to my deck lights, which i have to switch on by going outside flicking the switch to 'on'.

I decided to try to make the deck lights switch on from the inside, so i thought i would link the power suplly to a switch inside the house.

A pic: wire from power supply to inside the house. and back into the double socket
bump016.jpg

Back of the switch
bump017.jpg

Now the problem starts:
I was going to fit a standard 1-way switch, but accidentally picked up a intermediate switch.

Back of intermediate switch:
bump018.jpg

Here's the question how do i wire up the intermediate switch so that when i leave the double socket switched on, i can switch the lights on and off from the inside. I.e be able to provide and cut the power to the double socket.

Hope this makes sense!?
Diagramatic answers would be brilliant for me as im new to this.

Cheers
Ben

Sponsored Links
what would a internal chrome light switch amperage be? and does anyone know of any 20 amp chrome switches?
sorry if its a silly question?

ben lee said:
what would a internal chrome light switch amperage be?

10A and single pole (well technically an intermediate has two poles, but the way it is set up means you can't do anything with more than one in your situation)

BTW, some of the stuff in that pic looks a little rough....

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
BTW, some of the stuff in that pic looks a little rough....

im only responsible for the double socket!!!! :oops:
Its a new build house and the place is still a building site so thats the reason for the dirt! Its only six months old!?

So.......can it be done then?

I don't understand what you are trying to do here. It seems you want to control the outside socket outlet from a light switch inside. Sorry if I've misread you Ben.

Are you aware that your outside SO needs RCD protection so you need to check it. The cable in the switch looks to short and I suggest you get it replaced. As Adam said the work does look a bit rough.

Also are you aware that the work you have done is notifiable under Part-P of Building regs? As a novice to electrics I suggets you get in touch with a local spark.

You'll get advice here, but nothing beats hands-on mate.

newspark_paul said:
I don't understand what you are trying to do here. It seems you want to control the outside socket outlet from a light switch inside. Sorry if I've misread you Ben.

Are you aware that your outside SO needs RCD protection so you need to check it. The cable in the switch looks to short and I suggest you get it replaced. As Adam said the work does look a bit rough.

Also are you aware that the work you have done is notifiable under Part-P of Building regs? As a novice to electrics I suggets you get in touch with a local spark.

You'll get advice here, but nothing beats hands-on mate.

Yes basically thats what im trying to do. Its a short cut effectively, so it switches on and off the deck lights, which is plugged into the outside socket.
The supplys from the ring so should be rcd' from the consumer box? Thats what the site sparky told me! He's finished on site so i can't ask him any questions or advice.

Is there another way of doing this then? all advise is greatly appreciated. :LOL:

When you mean rough is it because the 2.5mm is on show?

Well, shoot me down, but I think the guy shows reasonable effort & understanding.

He's taken a feed from an existing external supply on a new-build house (which I would hope is already RCD-protected) into the building and back out to an IP56 socket. All he needs to do is:

Check the rating of the circuit feeding the garage. Check it is RCD-protected, and if not, do so. Fit an appropriate DP switch inside to control the weatherproof socket.

Unplug the lights, breezer? Less hassle? Much less hassle surely to have an internal switch?

The pic seems to show you are spurring the garage from the SO and have now spurred your lights from the same SO. This is not allowed.
The way around that is to change the double SO to 2 singles linked to continue the circuit. You can then spur the garage and lights off the 2 singles.

This is notifiable under part-p, butb that's up to you Ben ;)

newspark_paul said:
The pic seems to show you are spurring the garage from the SO and have now spurred your lights from the same SO. This is not allowed.

That depends. It looks to me as if the garage feed has been spurred off for the socket. If the garage is on its own circuit, that's OK, providing the correct cable size has been used, and the circuit can stand the extra load. If the garage feed is off a fused spur, then there is no problem.

We need to know more.

securespark said:
Unplug the lights, breezer? Less hassle? Much less hassle surely to have an internal switch?

I do, they operate the internal lights.

The few garden lights i do have are on a timer, which is set to off most of the time

Great stuff gents, where can i find this information?
I can take more pics of all the wiring tommorrow, and hopefully youcan answer your questions from this.
Thanks again.
Ben

Breezer, i used to go outside to switch the lights on, but as the nights are getting colder.....well you know how it is. :oops:

It would help if you could post a pic of the lights you are trying to feed.
There may be an easier solution to your problem .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back