Hidden Eaves Design Detail

The sleeved fixing points are right at the edge, designed to sit in the centre of a fascia board ith nails. If I were to use them I'd be drilling right up against the face of the brick for rawl plugs and screws, so not possible. Perhaps I could fit a treated 4x1 to the tops of the facing bricks, a bit like a wall plate, so i can anchor that in the centre of the bricks with rawl plugs and screws, and then that gives me something to fasten this 3-1 eaves protector to, at it's edge??

Sponsored Links
Another idea (on the fixing side of things)...the sleeved fixing points on these 3-1 protectors are right at the edge, designed to sit in the centre of a fascia board ith nails. If I were to use them I'd be drilling right up against the face of the brick for rawl plugs and screws, so not possible. Perhaps I could fit a treated 4x1 to the tops of the facing bricks, a bit like a wall plate, so i can anchor that in the centre of the bricks with rawl plugs and screws, and then that gives me something to fasten this 3-1 eaves protector to, at it's edge??

If your trusses don't provide you with the correct detail at the eaves, you can always correct thing with some clever use of eaves sprockets, although it is better to get it right with the trusses (if possible).

Goes to google to see what eaves sprockets are...

Yes, there might be a way with something like that

What is the building going to be used for? Is it going to be heated? If it will be used for storage or not heated, then you won't have significant amounts of vapour entering the roof space and a breather membrane will be fine?

Sponsored Links
It will be used as a garage purely for storing some of my cars, but perhaps it will be used as a dwelling in the future.

After a lot of googling and with replies to this thread I finally worked out what I will do. I'm going to install a 50x25 timber plate (one of the roofing batons) to the edge of the upper saling course, not sure how I will attach it yet without damaging or loosening the bricks. I found 3 in 1 eaves trays online which have tray, vent and comb all in one so ordered what I will need. Then I built a mock up of the eaves arrangement in my workshop so I could determine exactly how the trusses will kind of interact with all the different elements and key to this was to allow me to determine the width of them so that I don't have a naff looking kinked bottom row.

Just waiting for quotes to come back.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Roof mockup.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back