High Pressure problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Story so far.....Moved into new home and found the radiators needed bleeding. After doing this, I rebalanced the pressure to approx 1.0 using filling loop. Next day the pressure has risen to 3.0 and has stayed there. There is a leak coming from below the boiler (plumber has ordered part?). Is it dangerous to be this high? What can I do to lower it? Its a BAXI boiler

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that you've turned the filling loop fully off?

chrishutt said:
Are you sure that you've turned the filling loop fully off?

Yes.......I do have a plumber coming to fit the new 'part' but would like to know if it is dangerous in its current state. Lets assume the plumber wont arrive til next week.

If uv left the filling loop on a little then the pressure relief is probably leaking outside. if it is leaking out side & it freezes up then ya gona hav big problems. not to mention all the fresh water entering ya system.

Sponsored Links
bab said:
If uv left the filling loop on a little then the pressure relief is probably leaking outside. if it is leaking out side & it freezes up then ya gona hav big problems. not to mention all the fresh water entering ya system.

I have checked to see if its fully off, and I believe it is. If it is in the off position then have you any other ideas as to what may cause the high pressure? Can I lower it?

1. You should disconnect the filling loop - you'll then find out whether or not it's valve is turned off.

2. You can lower the pressure, if you need to, by bleeding some water from a radiator. You'll be surprised how little it takes to lower the pressure.

Softus said:
1. You should disconnect the filling loop - you'll then find out whether or not it's valve is turned off.

2. You can lower the pressure, if you need to, by bleeding some water from a radiator. You'll be surprised how little it takes to lower the pressure.

Do I bleed the radiators in the same way as when releasing air?

Yes, almost. It's just that you don't stop when your fingers are burnt, the wall paper's stained and the wood laminate floor is soaking up the dirty water.

ChrisR said:
Yes, almost. It's just that you don't stop when your fingers are burnt, the wall paper's stained and the wood laminate floor is soaking up the dirty water.

OK then.....I'll go round to me mums and try it on her radiator first. She will be pleased. If your kidding (and i hope you are) how do I really do it?

Exactly as ChrisR said. As a suggestion, if the system is hot, put the vent key in position, then wrap a damp flannel around the stem of the key, to catch all the hot water that would otherwise hit your hands/face/wallpaper/carpet/mother/gonads, then open the vent.

Softus said:
Exactly as ChrisR said. As a suggestion, if the system is hot, put the vent key in position, then wrap a damp flannel around the stem of the key, to catch all the hot water that would otherwise hit your hands/face/wallpaper/carpet/mother/gonads, then open the vent.

Really appreciate all this help folks!
Is there a particular radiator I should do this to?

Any one will do, but I would choose the one nearest to the pressure gauge to save wear and tear on your legs :)

Hi All
Trawling through the threads trying to find one that relates to the issues I'm currently having with my Boiler. High Pressure.

Combination Boiler.
Heat Line Compact
Hot water is fine.
Started CH up for winter

Pressure , after 5 mins moves from 1bar to 3-4. and then off the gauge!
Bled the Rads. Some air but then bled water to reduce Pressure to 1-2b
Stays low then when i switch off. (no room stat) when i restart the pressure light comes on.won't start as pressure is below 1br,
Soi refill to 1-2 through loop. (Loop is closed ff tight after) then it sits at 1-2 for about 5 mins then climbs and climbs 2,3, off the scale.

Have repeated the above about 5 times trying t get a balancebut can't.

Any ideas please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back