Hinkley Point C - C stands for CON

go on then, if you think you can, tell me a time for today, so we can do a worked example.
As has already been pointed out by others, I have shown you a worked example. Tidal is intermittent.

You have also ignored a whole range of other issues with it, such as the impact, small number of appropriate sites, issues with river traffic, shifting tidal conditions....

Sponsored Links
Do you mean "slack water" when the tide has risen (or fallen) to the maximum extent, before it starts going the other way?
Picking up on semantics is unbecoming of you.

And the most expensive.

Are you saying tidal power - including capital costs is more expensive than Nuclear and fossil fuels?

Is that dependent on the type of tidal power or general for all tidal power?

Picking up on semantics is unbecoming of you.

Not semantics, I'm trying to check what you mean, as you use language which I find unclear.

Because, as you are surely aware, being such an expert, a barrage generator can be opened at slack water, and can generate its maximum power at that point.

Which is a fact your link slides nervously away from mentioning.

Sponsored Links
As has already been pointed out by others, I have shown you a worked example. Tidal is intermittent.

However, you have failed to show any particular time today when you think there would be no tidal energy available.

Is it because you fear, or know, that I would be able to demonstrate that, whatever time you pick, tidal energy is available?

Are you saying tidal power - including capital costs is more expensive than Nuclear and fossil fuels?

Is that dependent on the type of tidal power or general for all tidal power?
I was replying to the bolded section regarding wave energy. Wave energy is the most expensive.

Not semantics, I'm trying to check what you mean, as you use language which I find unclear.

Because, as you are surely aware, being such an expert, a barrage generator can be opened at slack water, and can generate its maximum power at that point.

Which is a fact your link slides nervously away from mentioning.
So you are only looking at barrages now, interesting. There are not many sites in the UK that are suitable, and again are intermittent, albeit at a different time to a turbine system, and not comparable in scale or type of supply to a fleet of nuclear power stations. What was your point again?

The Severn, Dee, Solway and Humber estuaries are all potential sites for tidal energy generating barrages in the UK, while Islay and the Pentland Firth are to host tidal turbine arrays.
http://www.tidalenergy.eu/tidal_energy_uk.html
-Why they think the Humber would be any good for a barrage is beyond me, with the amount of shipping that goes through it. Added to that the shear amount of silt that is in the Humber, would make it unviable. Its quite a fast tidal flow though, but the shipping lanes are the only areas where you have any depth for a turbine, but it could be a bit of a squeeze. Dredging is also a continuous process, to keep the estuary viable for shipping.

Added to that, we find a study that looked a barrages for the major estuaries (Seven/Thames/Wash/Humber/Seven stage2) states:
Unfortunately,significant continuous generation over a full 24 h window cannot be demonstrated at this point and follow-up studies of other potential sites and optimised conjunctive operation studies are called for.

Tidal energy potential in UK waters (PDF Download Available). Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/245409305_Tidal_energy_potential_in_UK_waters [accessed Jun 27, 2017].

It also clearly states that they could provide up to 10-15% of the grid, which is even less than stated elsewhere.

You still haven't addressed any of the other issues with tidal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source

Whats the biggest wave energy production you know of?
Well Portugal had one over 2MW, but closed it down due to technical difficulties, and one of the partners went bust.

But the expensive aspect is from here:
energies-08-07344-g002-1024.png

They could throw a big chunk of cash at it, but it would take time, and is a big risk. Costs change as technologies develop, but we cannot assume that they will fall sufficiently for a non-mature technology.

Show me where you think I have used the word "only."
Here you were referring to barrages. You would not have to use the word "only":

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/hinkley-point-c-c-stands-for-con.484487/page-4#ixzz4lDaPPgYG

And you still haven't addressed any of the other issues with tidal.

You still haven't been able to think of any time when GB has no tidal energy.

That's because there isn't one.

... but that's what you do - ignore that which you can't or don't want to answer.

Amount of benefit cap ring a bell???

Just politely say he's wrong and explain why it is not so.

John, Wobs seriously don't know why you two are arguing.

Wobs in that table why is there no column for solar?

Sponsored Links
Back