Hip and ridge tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Can anyone suggest a way of removing hip and ridge half round tiles without breaking them.

They are not loose and would like to try and save them for re use if possible.

I need to take them off to form a valley close by.

I thought about a brick saw through the motor between them vertically, or would i be wasting my time.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Using an angle grinder will certainly help, but if it means hauling a load of tiles off with the ridge then so be it, as the tiles can be more easily replaced. You can then access the ridge from different directions giving you an opportunity to work on the mortar with the grinder.

Thanks noseall.

Overlooked the angle grinder option....may give that a go !

Top stuff :p

Also whilst on the subject, i have a copy of the Building construction handbook, latest issue, which i use for reference.

Its handy if you are not sure, and its been a great help.

Now, looking at the various side views of ridge tiles the drawings show a tile slip under the ridge and in the bedding mortar for the ridge tile.

Whats its purpose, is it really necessary, and are there any alternatives ?

Is the tile slip fixed to the ridge board, or just left free in the mortar so to speak.

Thanks to all respondees

Tufty

Sponsored Links
Also whilst on the subject, i have a copy of the Building construction handbook, latest issue, which i use for reference.

Its handy if you are not sure, and its been a great help.

Now, looking at the various side views of ridge tiles the drawings show a tile slip under the ridge and in the bedding mortar for the ridge tile.

Whats its purpose, is it really necessary, and are there any alternatives ?

Is the tile slip fixed to the ridge board, or just left free in the mortar so to speak.

Thanks to all respondees

Tufty

When using deep profiled tiles, slips are used to help deal with the large amounts of mortar required to fill the hollows, thus preventing mortar slump.

Also, once you arrive at the ridge detail (whilst using plain tiles), it is necessary to use an eaves tile directly beneath the ridge, to allow the ridge full weathering overlap, as the last course of full tiles does not provide an adequate head-lap.

Thanks again noseall.....all taken in for future use.

And thanks for the link Alastair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back