Historical building and construction museums?

T

teaboyjim

Has anybody got any suggestions of historical building techniques museums?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Looks nice. Here's a pub quiz question: How old is concrete?

Sponsored Links
Where I was dragged up in Shotton Flintshire we were close to Buckley know world over for their mugs and brickwork, seems we had right type of clay, so were clay pits everywhere, and it seems at the top of Shotton lane was a group of around 10 houses and the builder bought just enough bricks to make a kiln and all the house bricks were made on site from the clay on site.

Ruabon however was the main place for bricks, just outside Wrexham, but in Elm Quarry off the A494 near Ewloe when I was a lad we watched them tending the kins, where they made fire bricks for JS&S steel works in Shotton and used Sentinel steam wagons to take them to the steel works, which gives you the link to Shropshire, you can still see the name on the Sentinel works in Shrewsbury going out to Battle Fields direction.

Are there any historical sites or museums near that area that you know of or could recommend?

The Grosvenor near the man on horse with hat in hand in Chester is only local one, old police station in Wrexham but Buckley mugs very little, there was a guy in Mold who did guided tours did one with Mold Camera Club, likely the Mold Camera Club is your best bet for local history was every Monday but now all on line, and since now moved away lost touch.

I love the idea of brick making in the old traditional way - and building houses from clay - I've seen this documentary about a castle being built in France and they had to use all of the traditional methods with which to construct it with.

Do you know if we've got a fairly large brick making industry here in the UK?

Sponsored Links
Back