Hive Active Heating with separate hot tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening to all,

Need a bit of help on installing a Hive Active Heating Thermostat, or to be more precise fixing a very sloppy work by a "cowboy" electrician at a friends house.

So here we go.

System comprises of:
(1) Trianco Aztec Boiler
(2) Separate hot immersion heating water tank
(3) Thermostat (HONEYWELL T6360-1028 MECHANICAL ROOM THERMOSTAT)

Rather than trying to decipher what the electrician has done (which does not work and looks very wrong to me with all sort of colors mixed for N, L, EARTH, etc) what I am planing to do is:

(1) connect the immersion heating to HIVE so that it can be set on a schedule, and
(2) connect the boiler so that the old thermostat is replaced by HIVE

My proposed plan to re-connect everything is as in attached diagram.
Any thoughts or input is most welcome.

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

Attached is the installation manual for the boiler as well, in case you require any additional information.

Attachments

• Untitled P1.png
    Untitled P1.png
    115.8 KB · Views: 956
  • Aztec-Classic.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 435
  • Hive.JPG
    Hive.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 533
Sponsored Links
I do not know the rating of the contacts in Hive, I would suspect around 3A, if so then it can't work an immersion heater direct, some where it would need a relay to take the immersion heater current.

I would guess you likely need some form or relay for the boiler, Hive duel channel does not have volt free contacts, it does seem that the SL contact on the boiler is 230 volt however the supply needs to come from the boiler not some other random source.

The boiler instructions so Y plan among others so don't know why there would be an immersion heater heater anyway.

Last edited:
And if you know your heating wiring, you'll know that colour coding matters not a jot and should never be factored in to making repairs/alterations. :)

Sponsored Links
And if you know your heating wiring, you'll know that colour coding matters not a jot and should never be factored in to making repairs/alterations. :)
Agreed, but since the info I have found online is so contradicting, it is worth asking people who have done similar wiring. No need to re-invent the wheel (y)

I do not know the rating of the contacts in Hive, I would suspect around 3A, if so then it can't work an immersion heater direct, some where it would need a relay to take the immersion heater current.

I would guess you likely need some form or relay for the boiler, Hive duel channel does not have volt free contacts, it does seem that the SL contact on the boiler is 230 volt however the supply needs to come from the boiler not some other random source.

The boiler instructions so Y plan among others so don't know why there would be an immersion heater heater anyway.

Hi ericmark,
Thank you for your input/thoughts.

"The boiler instructions so Y plan among others so don't know why there would be an immersion heater heater anyway" -- > I noticed that as well, but I assumed the electrician, who did the installation, had a good reason for it...maybe not (n) That is why I kept it in my rudimentary diagram.

I will look into it in more detail, when I actually have physical access to my friends house (rather than photos of the installation/wiring) + my trustworthy multimeter.

Using gas or oil there is a good reason to use the central heating boiler to heat the domestic hot water, but when using electric an element direct into the storage cylinder must be better than heating up pipe work as well, however as to controls for domestic hot water if the cylinder is well insulated it only needs a timer if it needs to line up with a cheap supply, and Hive is not really the way to do that, there is no reason to use Hive to control DHW. A 40 gallon tank takes a long time to heat and cool so pointless turning off/on except when going on holiday.

The whole idea of central heating wall thermostats is to control the boiler, normally either controls temperature by linking with TRV's or is stops boiler cycling, but that electric boiler has no need to modulate or do any of the normal things a oil or gas boiler does, I am sure there is an advantage to using a boiler rather than individual electric heaters in each room, but it escapes me what the advantage is? Only reason I can see is where it's a back up or addition to a gas, oil or solid fuel boiler.

So with Hive you can select when each TRV heats each room. But why not simply have a heater in each room direct, I just can't get my head around what advantage the system offers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back