Hive Dual Channel - advice please

Might be better with a wiring center?

Sponsored Links
How would I go about incorporating a wiring centre box along with the FCU since the cables have all been cut just to fit into the FCU? Can you point me in the right direction regarding what to buy? Thanks

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Many thanks. You've probably saved me quite a few quid. Cheers :mrgreen:
Don't thank us yet, we need to know it still works! :)
Ohhh.. one further thing perhaps.... Is there any way I can get some bigger box/FCU such that I might be able to get all the cables back in a little easier?
Hopefully once the thermostat cable is fully removed, that will give you a bit more breathing space within the box.

But for a little extra flexibility, a socket spacer could be used.
Maybe a bit of a bodge, but it would be safe enough.

• Thanks
How would I go about incorporating a wiring centre box along with the FCU since the cables have all been cut just to fit into the FCU? Can you point me in the right direction regarding what to buy? Thanks
Since there’s possibly no play in the wires/cables for a wiring center, I wonder if there’d be enough play for a double pattress box?https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-p...VGMftCh2iBQVKEAQYASABEgJ6nvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds with a blanking plate on the other side? If not, then, maybe a deep pattress box or a spacer as per @RandomGrinch?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably go down the 'extra spacer' route for now.. The Hive arrives tomorrow, by which time I'll hopefully have checked that the 'wiring out the thermostat' has had no detrimental affect on the boiler running just with the old timer. I'll keep you posted in a day or so.

...having further thoughts on this.

If the thermostat wiring is exactly as you have described, then all that we have done will bridge it out - exactly how we want it to be.
However, for an S-Plan, the call for heat output would be daisy chained through the programmer.
I would be interested to know where the call for heat connection goes from the programmer - terminal 4, a blue wire, oversleeved brown.

Possibly ends up here?
Screenshot_20230927-010444_Chrome.jpg

Purely speculation, but if this is the correct wire, and there is no other wire in that terminal block, the programmer may have been bridged out!
Meaning the heating was purely controlled by the thermostat.

...and I should probably have asked this question first - were the original controls working properly to begin with? :)

Last edited:
Or I may be completely wrong!
I didn't pay much attention to this when you first mentioned it...
PS... I think the other incoming wires at the top right of the FCU are something to do with the kitchen underfloor heating
But now I see that your thermostat is a Danfoss RET230L and has been rebranded by Hep2O, could this actually be a standalone thermostat for the underfloor heating?

Sorry this has become protracted, but your wiring isn't quite making sense to me. It isn't helped by the rats nest behind the FCU!

Hello RG... I'm just back at the house. The thermostat on the wall certainly controls the boiler for the CH at the moment and the wall timer works too.
There is another wireless Centre timer controller that I put batteries in and it now controls the floor heating. At least when I wind up the temperature setting on it the boiler fires up and the floor eventually gets warmer. The radiators stay off so it seems to work fine independently. I can't find the box that the wireless is no doubt paired with but I won't worry about it for now.

Meanwhile, you have correctly circled above the call for heat from Terminal 4 which is coupled together with a brown wire that goes up into the trunking.

Over to you again... :)

Ok, thanks for the extra info.
It certainly seems an interesting setup :) - there is definitely more to your system, than we have seen so far, including a separate valve for the UF heating.
As before then, link the black wire (just for clarity - previously linked to grey at thermostat) to the load L terminal of the FCU and see if everything is still controllable!
We eagerly await the results!

Last edited:
Yikes... Linking up the black wire didn't work.. The boiler won't kick in even on manual.

Yikes... Linking up the black wire didn't work.. The boiler won't kick in even on manual.
Oh dear, sorry about that :confused:
Something didn't seem quite right.
I suspect the tracing of the thermostat has gone awry.
I would put the cables back, and then for proof, keep the thermostat off, but bridge L and terminal 3 on the back plate, if the heating is controllable after that, then we know the cable tracing may be the problem.
If it doesn't work after putting the cables back, a connection may have been disturbed during the investigation.

Thanks for your support. I'm struggling for time to get to the property at the moment but will hopefully investigate further in the next couple of days.

So…I’ve just been back to the house and the cable from the thermostat to the FCU is wired thus:

• Black wire (sheathed blue) at Neutral in the Thermostat goes to Black (sheathed blue) into the FCU load.

• Brown wire at Live in the Thermostat goes to Brown FCU load.

• The Grey wire (sheathed brown) at the thermostat goes to the chocolate block (in the FCU) connection to the black wire that goes to the boiler.
Hi there.. I've managed to get back to the house briefly and have spent longer belling out the wires. I was wrong about the above Brown wire in the thermostat. It's actually linked to the call for heat (CH On) in the timer switch.
The other 2 descriptions still stand.

Thanks

I was wrong about the above Brown wire in the thermostat. It's actually linked to the call for heat (CH On) in the timer switch.
Great, this connection?
Screenshot_20230927-010444_Chrome.jpg
If so, that's more like it!
All you should need would be to link this terminal block, and the black wire to the boiler
Screenshot_20231004-174751_Chrome.jpg
:)

A slight note of caution though.
I still would have expected the boiler to fire up when you connected the black wire to the FCU L earlier on.
We will wait and see.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Great, this connection? I think so yes, although the various chocolate blocks have now been moved around to get a better look at things.
View attachment 315935

If so, that's more like it!
All you should need would be to link this terminal block, and the black wire to the boiler
View attachment 315936
:)

A slight note of caution though.
I still would have expected the boiler to fire up when you connected the black wire to the FCU L earlier on.
This baffled me last time too. I'll try again soon as well as carrying out your above suggestion too. I'm in no rush since the internet is unlikely to be back on in the house for another week or so, henvce no point in putting the new Hive in.
My only overall concern is doing any damage to the boiler here with the wrong connections.
We will wait and see.
I'll get back to you one day soon... Meanwhile, thanks again.:mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back