Hive heating installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening

Hive seems to have been done to death in this forum. But I can’t seem to find a topic that will help with my install.

I have a Logic Combi ESP1 35
Dual zone controls
All wiring seems to go to an ESI esrtp6 double valve PSU

From what I can work out, I connect the wires heading out the ESI wiring box to the thermostats to my hive receivers instead. And because there’s 3 wires coming out of the ESI box to the thermostat, on my hive receiver I have to connect L to 1. But this is where my knowledge seems to end. For some reason, the wires coming out the ESI box don’t match up with the back of the thermostat, which is confusing me. I’ve tried looking up the wiring diagrams but I can’t quite work it out. I can’t work out why 0V goes to RH on the thermostat. I figured +V is live, 0V is neutral (blue sleeve on thermostat), and RH is the switch for the pump.

Do I run +V to L, 0V to N, and RH to 3 on the receiver, with a jumper between L and 1?

I’ve attached pictures to hopefully clear up what I’m on about.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• 43B12747-BC53-4E1D-9EB0-BB1911E7C086.jpeg
    43B12747-BC53-4E1D-9EB0-BB1911E7C086.jpeg
    550.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 71293C44-84F4-4ED4-A2CE-EB964BE38641.jpeg
    71293C44-84F4-4ED4-A2CE-EB964BE38641.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 188
  • F0F7E761-BA09-4182-A15A-145E25667349.jpeg
    F0F7E761-BA09-4182-A15A-145E25667349.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 214
  • 81CC622D-83DD-4027-BD88-0EA517D8BFDC.jpeg
    81CC622D-83DD-4027-BD88-0EA517D8BFDC.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 201
Sponsored Links
You cant install the dual channel hive with that wiring centre
This photo from a group on FB seems to have it working with the same wiring centre? Am I missing something? What do I need to get it set up and working?

Attachments

• 0C2D8D3D-1D38-408C-85FF-FC45C3AB39AD.jpeg
    0C2D8D3D-1D38-408C-85FF-FC45C3AB39AD.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 131
Firstly I must declare that I am not familiar with the ESI double PSU, however inspection of your photos seems to indicate the following....please confirm by reference to the instructions before connecting!
1. The ESI unit supplies 5vdc to an external thermostat, and expects that 5v back on terminal RH as a demand to open the zone valve (onboard Omron relay energises).
2. The Hive receiver requires 240vac on L and N for its power, however its output is via a volt-free contact, ie it will switch the 5vdc from the ESI unit.

Given the above to be true I suggest temporarily powering up the ESI unit and linking +V to RH, checking that this indeed causes the zone valve to actuate. If it does then connect ESI +V terminal to Hive terminal 1, and Hive terminal 3 to ESI RH terminal. Hive should then control the ZV.
IMPORTANT: do not mix 240vac and 5vdc within a multicore cable. Use separate cables for mains and for 5vdc.

MM

Sponsored Links
This photo from a group on FB seems to have it working with the same wiring centre? Am I missing something? What do I need to get it set up and working?
Those are both single channel hives, the single channel has volt free switching , so can switch the 5Volts that the ESI wiring centre has, yours is a dual channel and can only switch 240V so cant be used, you can use a nest dual channel though

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
If it does then connect ESI +V terminal to Hive terminal 1, and Hive terminal 3 to ESI RH terminal. Hive should then control the ZV.
He has a duel channel hive and it cant be used as it only has 240 v switching

Those are both single channel hives, the single channel has volt free switching , so can switch the 5Volts that the ESI wiring centre has, yours is a dual channel and can only switch 240V so cant be used, you can use a nest dual channel though
My hive isn’t dual channel. I’ve got 2 single channel ones.

Yeah I have dual zone heating, as in a thermostat upstairs and downstairs. But it’s a Combi boiler, no water tank. Both my hive receivers are single channel.

Does the other side have LH?
The wires at the top of the ESI box? No, the other side is identical, one set go to the upstairs thermostat, the other downstairs

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Hi, was this ever sorted? I have the same issue, seems connected correctly as above, and paired, but won't switch on the heating?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back