Hive Hw coming on when turn Ch on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I was hoping you might be able to help me with a situation. I have recently installed the Hive system which is the dual channel (hw&ch). Our system is a gravity feed Y-Plan system (so I believe). The issue we are currently having is when the central heating is turned on, the light on the receive is also showing on for the hot water and we believe the hot water is actually coming on. This doesn’t happen the other way round so if we stick the HW on the heating doesn’t come on.

Any help is much appreciated.

I can add photos if this helps.

Sponsored Links
Have you set the Hive to Gravity Fed / Part Pumped mode of operation? If so that's wrong, it should be set to Fully Pumped for a Y-Plan.

Capture.JPG

Gravity Feed here, has nothing to do with the tank in the loft. Gravity Feed in terms of Hive refers to Gravity Circulation of hot water around the hot water cylinder as opposed to the water being pumped around it.

Hi, so at the moment we have it set to gravity feed mode (Blue Light). Our system has a tank in the loft and then in the airing cupboard we have a the hot water tank and in the kitchen we have the boiler.
317D30BF-CEDA-4B38-9983-A5253E7DF205.jpeg

That's a fully pumped Y-Plan. The 3 port valve in the centre of the picture diverts the water from the pump to either the hot water cylinder or the central heating as required.

Gravity is the wrong setting for this system, switch the Hive back to fully pumped.

Sponsored Links
Wow, you’re amazing. Thank you so much. My next question is how do I change from gravity feed to normal on the receiver as can’t find anything online.

I assume that it's same way that you switched it to Gravity mode. I've never done it in reverse. The light will show green when you've done it. The Hive instructions tell you how.

1670340488233.png

Last edited:
Thank you so much, really do appreciate your help. I’ve done that and now everything seems to be working just fine. Many thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back