Hive Installation Option Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of installing Hive and have a query I cannot find the answer to. I have a Honeywell programmer and wired thermostat. Is there any experts among you who can answer the following questions please:

1.Can i keep the Honeywell programmer and thermostat wiring for possible future contingency use (Hive failure etc) and run the hive with the programmer still being used or if not can I keep the programmer switched off and install the Hive controller next to it. I am thinking I would like a fall back option if Hive ever becomes temperamental. This would allow me to disconnect Hive and return to using the programmer and wired stat.

2. Can Hive be installed to only act as wireless heating thermostat. I am only really looking for remote control of heating temperature when away from home.

3.Does Hive have a manual override to allow the heating to run if/when there is a failure of internet or WiFi.

Apologies if this has already been covered but I have looked and not found anything.

Thanks as ever and best regards

Sponsored Links
1. You can keep the existing room thermostat, when the Hive was installed if you really wanted to, but you would need to leave it set to its maximum setting so that it was permanently 'on' and if it is battery operated keep live batteries in it.

You could also in theory leave in the Programmer in place but they are different beasts, and work differently, so the extra wiring between the two would be complicated and operation clumsy. It would be far better to install the Hive Receiver and then swap it back later for the existing programmer should you so desire. Depending on your programmer model, the wiring could be a straight swap with the Hive like for like.

2. Yes there is a single channel version of the Hive primarily designed for operation of the heating only for Combi boilers that don't have hot water time control. You could wire one place of the existing room thermostat, but in this instance the heating times at the existing programmer would have to be set to be permanently 'on', and it would still control the hot water as presently.

3. The Hive receiver has a manual override button, but I believe that communication between the Hive thermostat and the Hive receiver is directly between them via the Hive hub and not reliant on the internet connection anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back