Hive Installer in Kent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

We have a Potterton Suprima 60L with an external MegaFlo so sealed system. The thermostat is on the wall in the hall and the time r is on the wall in the kitchen.

Can I have a Hive system? Anybody know a Kent installer rated?

Thanks

Daren

Sponsored Links
Yes you can have a Hive. Any competent heating engineer or even electrician will be able to install it for you.

yes you can have a hive dual channel installed , you get single channel and dual channel, you need the dual channel, if you look on Amazon you can buy with installation included I think BG do the same

Hey Ian

I've powered down, checked the fuse is 3amps and popped the front off the existing Potterton EP3002 and it looks like a dual channel Hive is a direct replacement. The PINs are virtually the same.
The Hive Receiver doesn't have pin 5 like the Potterton but it's just linked back to live anyway, so I guess can be ignored? Not sure about the 'D' connection on the Potterton though (blue wire) but I have watched a YouTube that says usually the blue can be ignored?
Apparently I have to short something on the wiring to skip the current wall thermostat.
What do you think? I reckon I can do this myself-ish.
Daren

Hive Dual Channel.PNG Potterton Timer Back.jpg Potterton Timer Shoe.jpg Heating Wiring Diagram.jpg

Sponsored Links
You are right, terminals N L 3 & 4 do correspond to a dual channel Hive. The EP link to 5 is simply removed. Hive has this link made internally for you already hence no terminal 5. The other terminals A B C D, Earth and N side strips, are just there to assist installation, they have no function as far as the control of the heating is concerned. The unused wire has just been 'parked' in D to keep it out of the way.

I can't see an obvious earth wire anywhere, although there might be a hint of green/yellow showing at the back, so hopefully it will be out of sight but connected to the metal backbox. The backbox does require an earth connection.

You don't mention an existing room thermostat. If there is one it can't just be disconnected otherwise the heating wiring will be 'open circuit' and not operate. Either it can be left in situ and set to maximum, or a small wiring modification will be required to decommission it properly and it can then be removed.

Last edited:
Hey Stem

Thank you, all good news then
I do have a wall stat which I would rather remove altogether. Originally it was a 3 wire old style which I replaced with a Honeywell digital thing with just two wires. Ill take it off tonight to have nose at the wires.

Will those two wires go back to the wiring block in the airing upstairs cupboard (photo in previous post). Do I just link them out then?
If that is the case how do I work out which ones they are other than colour, am I going to have to run a continuity checker over a long wire up the stairs sort of thing?

Thanks Stem

Daren

I did it last night and it's all working well.
Put the red link wire from the old timer in the bin and terminated the blue wire into a choc bloc.
Joined the wires from the thermostat, buried them back into the wall and stuck the new fancy thermostat over the hole.
Thank you Gents for your vital input. Wouldn't have done it without you.
Regards
Daren

Gents... Whoops

This morning my better half has no hot water in the shower. The rads are all toasty, the house is lovely but the taps run cold.
I have a MegaFlo, so I guess thats fully pumped. In the airing cupboard there are two small motorised valves and one large white motored valve.
The water indicator on the front of the Hive receiver never lights automatically but it does work if I manually switch it on, (just waiting now for water to heat, I hope).
What am I missing? I left the blue wire in the old EP3002 disconnected but maybe I should connect that somewhere after all?
Please help or I have to put back the old kit before she blows her top.
Thanks
Daren

PS Just looked properly and I only have 1 small powered valve and 1 large. See attached photo.

Attachments

• Airing Cupboard.JPEG
    Airing Cupboard.JPEG
    277 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I did it last night and it's all working well....joined the wires from the thermostat, buried them back into the wall and stuck the new fancy thermostat over the hole.

Glad to hear that it's working. The wires and terminations should be housed in a suitable enclosure that remains visible to indicate the presence of live wires still in the wall. Most folks don't want to have that on show, which is why I usually recommend that the bridging join be made at the origin of the cable and the old cable can then be disconnected and disregarded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back