Hive, Moving home, can I take it with me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have Hive fitted at home (it's 3yrs old but works great)
We love it so thinking about taking it with us when we move.

Is it worth the hassle to take the receiver (fitted to the boiler) and replace with a regular wired thermostat?
How much of a DIY job would this be.
I am happy wiring sockets and lights.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Which version of the Hive do you have? The single channel version? (for combi's) or the dual channel version? (for S Plan or Y Plan systems)

I would say that from an ethics point of view you should not remove it.

Furthermore it should be shown on the sale particulars as a selling point.

It is so easy for you to buy another for the place you are going to.

Tony

PS I hope you are not one of those who remove the light bulbs?

OP didn't say he was selling the property. It might be rented and in such cases where tenants have made modifications, the terms of their contract may even stipulate that it is returned to its original condition. Even if he is selling, he came on a DIY site seeking technical advice, not a moral lecture.

Sponsored Links
Hi
I'm selling my house.
It isn't mentioned in the estate agents details and no one has asked about thermostats etc.

I got one of the original ones
I have the dual receive and the original Hive Active Heating™ 1 Thermostat

I may end up leaving it in place, I was interested in how much cost and effort it would be to DIY replace with a regular thermostat

You can get a programmer such as a dual channel Drayton LP (other makes are available), that uses the same wiring format as the Hive. ie:

Neutral
Live
1 Hot water off (Y Plan) or not used (S Plan)
2 Not used
3 Hot water on
4 Heating on

Then add a basic room thermostat (not a programmable one) and wire it between terminal 4, and the wire presently going to terminal 4.

If you want to use an original room thermostat, it may also need a neutral connection. Post back details and we can advise.

And that's it.

Last edited:
Hi

I'm selling my house.

It isn't mentioned in the estate agents details and no one has asked about thermostats etc.

It is up to the seller to point out to the agents any good selling points.

Many agents seem a little dim. In any case they cannot be expected to know details about smart stats or the local schools and nearby bus stops etc.

If some internet nerd comes to view the house then a smart stat could make all the difference and get him to buy the house!

Get the agent to add it!

Tony

It will have been part of the EPC calculation, so should remain.
That's interesting, is it deemed to be more efficient to have a Hive over a standard thermostat in terms of the calculations? I can perhaps see that with Nest, that is supposed to learn your lifestyle and adjust accordingly.

The last guy I fitted a Hive for reckoned his energy consumption went up because he kept remotely switching it on earlier than the normal set times, when he managed to finish work earlier. (Which is why be bought it BTW)

The last EPC I had done, specifically stated that the rating could be improved if I added TRV's. Yet, completely ignored the fact that every room had a separate independent room thermostat hooked up to a dedicated motorised valve with boiler interlock. The individual rooms could even have different time control. Even when I pointed this out, the guy wouldn't change the certificate unless I added TRV's. Grrr.:mad:

My usage goes down, as I turn it off when the in-laws are baby sitting ;)

There is nothing to stop you installing another thermostat in the place of the Hive, but you must inform the Estate agent so their printed sales information does not make false claims about the system. It will also need to be mentioned on form Prop 6, which your conveyancer will ask you to complete for passing to you purchasers.

For the cost of a new Hive, you may as well buy a new one for the new house. Taking out the old one, putting a standard controller in its place etc will be way more hassle than its worth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back